As Nathan hugged me goodbye, walked out the front door, climbed in the neighbors car and left for preschool I noticed his footprints in the fresh snow. Only his footprints were there, mine were not. As I turned to go back inside I was a little teary eyed. Wasn't it just a short time ago that he refused to go anywhere without me? He left my arms and went out into the big bad world - okay, so it was within a mile and he was safe at a neighbors house - but I can't see him, guide him, protect him, teach him. He is out there making decisions on his own. My time with each child to lead and guide and walk beside seems so short and suddenly they are off finding the way on their own.
This image displays the full purpose that we put him in preschool. It wasn't for an educational boost because he already exceeds kindergarten expectations but it was strictly for social purposes. It is working. Still, it is hard for me to let go. And so the detachment process begins with another one of my children. Thank goodness it takes years of weaning!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I went in to check on the boys one night and found this:
Nathan was sitting by his nightlight looking at the pictures in the Book of Mormon. I asked him what he was doing and he responded, "I just wanted to learn more about Jesus". How can I send him to bed after a statement like that? As I sat next to him he asked a couple of questions about the pictures and I reminded him of their stories. Then I quietly stepped out, leaving him sitting by the nightlight because he didn't want the overhead light on, and after about 15 minutes he climbed in bed and went to sleep.
Experiences like this leave me humbly and respectfully thanking my children for their example. At times they "lead me, guide me, walk beside me, [and] help me find the way".
1 comment:
That is amazing Kimber. Love that you share and capture these moments so you can share them when they get older and have forgotten.
Post a Comment