Sunday, April 15, 2012

Justin's 13th Birthday

February 9, 2012

Justin's Epic Ninja Birthday was a hit from the moment he entered the door and saw his decorations.  He did a ninja kick and Hi-Ya for us to show his enthusiasm and couldn't stop repeating "this is so cool!"  The only tragedy to follow his party was found five days later when I pulled out the camera to photograph Valentine's Day and found that all of my camera settings were different and all of the pictures from Justin's party had been deleted.  We won't blame anyone because we wouldn't want Hyrum to carry that burden for his whole life.  Luckily, Vivien took a few pictures of the party.  The fifteen or so pictures that she took do very well to fill in the gap of fifty or so pictures that were lost in some digital black hole.


The epic ninja soda and rice krispie sushi with a side kick of wasabi (shelled pistacios) were the visual main attractions of our themed meal but Justin's all time favorite fried rice and soy sauce kebobs gave us some substance to bellies.

We had everyone wear black shirts and I had made monogrammed headbands using left over flannel from pajamas that I had made for Levi several years ago.  I've never seen my boys so thrilled about such a simple get-up.  My plan was to get a family picture with everyone.  We moved the table out of the way, all had our black shirts and headbands and Vivien (exchange student) and Bret (Erika's fiance) were with us to give us our most current family picture.  Unfortunately, those pictures did not survive the delete button and what we have left are a few shots of the boys trying out their chop sticks while I set up the tripod and got the camera ready - which Vivien took pictures of.  Again, I'm glad we have what we have.



It was fun to do a simple cake with real throwing stars.  It was simple but fit the occasion and Justin loved it. 



That night Justin, Derek and Vivien hung the pull-up bar that we gave him for his birthday.  The next morning there were many sore arms from the competitions that went well into the night.

No comments: