Monday, September 3, 2012

Goodbye

June 5th, 2012

This was a very difficult day for our family.  I knew that it was going to be tough taking Vivien to the airport to fly home to Slovakia but I didn't plan on it being heart breaking.  I wanted us all to have a final together memory that would make us smile and laugh so without the kids knowing I took along Wackee Six.  It's our game.  The one that we played the first day that Vivien was with us, the one that we were playing when Derek starting laughing so hard that we had to take him to the hospital, the one that we would play when there was absolutely nothing else to do in frozen Rexburg, the one that Nathan and Hyrum could play with us.


After checking in (which took quite a while because they couldn't find her information - we were hoping that meant she was staying longer), we gathered around in a circle and started playing.  The kids thought I was kidding but quickly joined in and soon we were hollering out "Wackee Six", bantering at each other when someone played the card we were going to and we had an audience of waiting travelers watching us.

Then it was time to say goodbye.  Nathan and Hyrum didn't quite understand that Vivien would not be coming back in a few days so they were anxious to get something to eat.  Derek and Justin didn't quite know how to say goodbye and I kept holding my breath so that I wouldn't cry.  That didn't work for very long and soon Vivien and I were both in tears.


She waited until the very last minute to go through security, waved one last time, and our last view of her was going up the escalator.  I just stood there for a few minutes, resisting the urge to run after her.  

Once we were in the car we didn't really know what to say.  When we got back to the house we were still quiet and didn't quite know what to do with ourselves without Vivien part of our lives anymore.  Then I got an update text from her as soon as she had available wifi for her iPod and felt a little better.  I didn't sleep that night because I was worried about her traveling alone.  I waited all morning for an email telling me that she had arrived safely.  Her dad finally gave me an update and by the next day I had email contact with her again. It certainly isn't the same as having her here but it's better than slow mail or nothing at all.  We did try Skype once but her video wasn't working and our internet is too slow for a good connection so we have just been in contact through email.  I think of her every day.  I miss her laugh and smile and hearing her down in her room.  I miss her company while I cook dinner or while the boys are off doing boy things.  I miss her sarcasm and sense of humor and taking trips into town or to Idaho Falls with her.

The boys also miss her.  They would often disappear and I would find them sitting in her empty room.  I even found myself hanging out down there once in a while.  The room still has her flag and a few pictures on the walls. She is very much still a part of the family and is still included in our family prayers and talked about on a daily basis.  What a blessing it has been to have her as part of our family.  We love you, Vivien!!!

No comments: