I really did try to teach my kids some baking, cooking, kitchen techniques but Levi and Erika were never interested and seemed very put out when I tried to "force" them to help me in the kitchen. As I watched Erika brown up five pounds of hamburger to divide into separate freezer portions and Levi grill his steaks and chicken as well as making up rice and potatoes, I had to stand back in amazement.
Levi has always had a hand and forearm fettish. From the time he was little he would freak out if his hands were dirty or wet so to see him rub the spices into his meat with his bare hands was a huge accomplishment all on its own.
I was careful not to offer suggestions or advice just in case it would burst their excitement for the project but they actually asked me for input. It was good to see that they did learn something in all that forced kitchen time and that they were enjoying it, especially standing back to see and smell the finished product. Now Erika has ready-to-use onion/taco/browned hamburger in her freezer and Levi has his stacked portions ready to go for the next five days. Having now done his new food and workout plan for two months he admits that his biceps and abs love his grilling.
The four other boys are quite proficient in the kitchen. They aren't intimidated by the oven, instructions, measuring or trying new things.
Mini pizzas are on their weekly menu and mini hot dogs cooked over our indoor open fire are among favorites.



1 comment:
Wow! Levi is looking buff! Awesome to see your kids cooking away. I wish I had meat ready to go in the freezer and Levi's stack of meals ready to go. They inspire me. And they learned it from you.
That is an awesome little indoor fire. Did you make that? Think I am going to introduce my boys to mini pizzas...made on english muffins right?
Post a Comment