Wednesday, April 30, 2014

No Foolin', April Was Fun!

We started the month with a General Conference Party.  Feed the body, feed the spirit.
 

When Daymia asked Hyrum if he was excited for conference he responded in excitement, "Yah!  Who wouldn't be?"  I'm glad the kids get excited for the food and family time while we camp out in the family room for hours.  However, it all becomes so worth the work and mess when they start to really enjoy conference for the talks.  Derek couldn't stop talking about it.  Weeks later he was still commenting on certain talks and bringing them up in family home evening lessons.

Daymia sent me a text one morning and asked if I could teach her how to make a quilt. Two days later she called from the fabric store asking what kind of fabric to get and then relied on the clerk to help her decide a size.  She showed up with fabric, batting, yarn and even her grandma's quilting frames.  I was a little hesitant to teach how to use the rotary cutter because of the missing section of my own finger but she watched me once and did the rest all on her own, with extreme caution since I was kind of holding my breath the whole time.  I showed her how to use the sewing machine once.  After that she did all of the sewing and was so proud of herself when she could thread it and fill the bobbin all my herself.  I was proud of her too!!


She got it cut and sewn during the first day and then brought her sister Jordyn over to help her tie it the next day.  I showed them how, went upstairs to get dinner ready and before I could go back down to see how they were doing and take a picture, it was done!  The binding was a little tricky but again, it didn't stop Daymia.  As she got to the last section she paused the machine and, clapping her hands, exclaimed, "it's so pretty and it's almost done!"  She finished it just in time to wrap Levi up in it as they headed off to opening night at the drive in.


Nathan started piano lessons in September and by April he was ready for his first festival at BYU-I.
 

He had his songs memorized, his scales ready and with nervous excitement he walked in with the judge, introduced himself, played his best and was done.  It was a great four minutes that boosted his confidence and solidified his determination to continue practicing and playing, he even asked to have lessons during the summer.  For a child who started life so hesitant and afraid of people he sure has blossomed as he shares his talents and confidently tackles each new situation with surprising ease.


Nathan, Hyrum, Erika and I took a field trip to Utah for Kellie's baby shower and a Cousin Carnival that my Aunts were doing.  The day began with the baby shower during which we tucked our kids away in a room with a movie.  I wasn't sure Kate's bedroom would survive nine kids under the age of eight but they did very well!  During our two hours of mommy time we only had a couple of quiet interruptions and not one fight or crying kid.  My boys have the best cousins!


We had a great time pampering Kellie and visiting together.  We played Baby Bunko, wrote encouraging messages on diapers for those late night changes, tested our shopping knowledge with a Price Is Right Baby Version game and ate.

Kate and Brooklyn were perfect Hostesses!


I like the picture of Erika and I in the top left corner.  Though it's out of focus, it is a brief glimpse at how alike we are.  People tell us that we look alike but we don't really see that.  However, as we sat together barefoot in our glasses writing near duplicate messages on diapers without knowing it I felt that I was sitting with one of my sisters.  We chat easily, call each other on rough days, think similarly but have varying opinions to help the other see a new perspective and we really like spending time together.  I love my Erika Jo!

The shower was to pamper Kellie and to celebrate baby Madelyn.

Madelyn Quincy Boyd
May 10th

After the shower we quickly cleaned things up so that we could get over to the church for the cousin carnival.  My Aunts, Kathy, Colleen, and Carol have been spoiling us since we were little kids.  I remember summers at Lagoon with them, their vast book collection that they would let me borrow from, their complete Disney collection of movies and the posters of John Schneider and Tom Selleck that decorated their fridge.  Now, their spoiling continues for the next generation.  Each month they hold Crafternoon for all the kids of "the cousins" (meaning me, my siblings, and any of our cousins in the surrounding area).  I have really wanted to make it to Crafternoon but because of the long drive we haven't been to one.  Now, my kids are wanting to go every month!

It was initially planned that the Cousin Carnival would be outside but with intense winds and a major downpour Kate made a few calls to reserve the church for us. The gym was set up with nine different carnival style games.  The kids were all set up with a buddy and they rotated through the games, collecting tickets as they went.


After everyone had been to each booth they counted up all their tickets and went to the "store" to trade their tickets in for prizes.  See?  These Aunts are Amazing!


I thought that was the end but then they pulled out Rice Krispie Treats and we all sang Happy Birthday to anyone who had a birthday during the month.  And, (yes, there is more) they brought out a box of VHS movies for us to choose from and keep.  They are converting their VHS library to a DVD library and we get the spoils of that labor.  Nathan was thrilled to bring home Three Musketeers and Hyrum picked a 60's Disney movie simply because the character had a sword in his hand.  Thank You, Thank You to these ladies!  We might have to make monthly trips to Utah.

No comments: