Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Trek 2013

July 29th - Aug 1st

I have wanted to go on a church youth Trek since I was 13 years old.  My mom was serving in the Young Women's organization at the time and our stake was going on a week long Trek.  I wanted to go so bad!  I was never a girly girl and had dreamed of growing up with Laura Ingalls and the closest I could get to that was this trek.  When I heard about the required pioneer clothing and taking only seventeen pounds of personal supplies I was ready to volunteer.  The only problem was the age limit.  I was thirteen and would not be the required fourteen for three more months.  Also, I was needed at home to watch kids while mom was gone. 

Many years, a husband and four kids later the opportunity came again.  Still, wrong timing for me.  LeRoy got to go as one of the Young Men leaders and Levi was invited even though he was only eleven and the age limit was twelve.  I had three other young children at home and didn't feel it was a good idea to be gone for a week.  Also, I was on a full out search for the cause of my headaches that had become so frequent that I didn't even volunteer to help at the elementary school so I didn't feel I could volunteer for a week in the wilds of Wyoming.

Again, an opportunity came....and I had a five month old nursing Hyrum to care for.  We had just moved into our house and I was still quite new to the struggles that came with teenagers so I wasn't overly sad to send my technology focused, somewhat entitled teens on a week long adventure without the comforts of the modern world.  I sent them off with just a tinge of sadness, hoping they would have the spiritual experience that I had only heard about but continued to dream of having.

My turn came in 2013.  Circumstances were still hectic and rearranging things at home while taking my responsible teens with me was tricky.  Mostly, I felt bad leaving Vivien home to take over the Mother role on her summer vacation to America but I had invited her to go on Trek and she didn't even hesitate to refuse (or wonder why in the heck I would want to go).  LeRoy, of course, was going to be busy between two businesses; Levi was living at home but working full time, Derek and Justin would be with me on Trek; Erika and Bret were both working full time but could check in.  If it hadn't been for Vivien, I'm pretty sure my little boys would have lived in the same pair of pajamas for the entire week while they spent their entire days huddled in front of the television with bags of colorful, sugar filled cereal for every meal .  Which I could have and would have let happen so that I could go on this long awaited adventure.

Day 1 - Independence Rock, Cherry Creek Campground
8 hours travel, 3 mile trek

5:00 am
We met at the church in full pioneer clothing with our buckets weighing no more than seventeen pounds.  The kids and leaders were divided into families which had been selected by the Bishopric, Young Women and Young Men Presidencies. After a brief opening meeting the two chartered buses were loaded and at 6am sharp we were headed for Wyoming.  I was on the food committee so I traveled in a truck with all the single ladies (cue music).  We were the women whose husbands could not come and we filled the position of food staff, some considered us the most important people of the trip.  We had non stop chatter as we all got to know each other better.  A couple of us (me included) didn't know anything about the ward history (past twelve years since the subdivision was created) and we hadn't ever served together so we chatted on for the entire eight hour ride.

We first stopped at Independence Rock began to hike.  

The kids were still getting used to sticking with their "families" instead of wandering off in their usual groups and it was a windy wake up to all of us after the early morning traveling.  The bishop called us all together at the top of Independence Rock to sing a hymn, have a prayer and he taught us a little about the history of the surrounding area.

We then headed over to the Visitor's Center and Tour Homestead for orientation.  It was there that each family received their handcart and the idea of the work that was going to be involved began.  As the kids saw their individual buckets become a full load that they would pull for a week, reality began to sink it.  This was not going to be an easy day hike.

Derek's Family Theme: Hope On, Journey On
Ma & Pa: Rick and Stacie Miller.  Shannon Orr, Cody Lamb, Preston Nelson, Derek,  Wade, Kaden Anderson, Kindra Skinner


Justin's Family Theme:  OnWARD, Ever OnWARD
Ma & Pa: Deon and Ryan Ward.  Justin, Bryan Andreason, Gavin Wallace, Logan Garner,  Autumn Williams, Shaylee Gordon, Jessica Facer

The missionary couple giving us the tours guided us to a building where we would have a group picture.  It took some time to get us all in and just as the first pictures were taken, a tall, burly dog sauntered in front of the group and posed for the pictures like he was our leader.



We later learned that this dog actually belongs to a rancher several miles away.  He shows up each summer at the Visitor's Center and attaches himself to groups that come through.  He stays with each group until they leave and then he immediately chooses a new group.  The day that we showed up there were two other groups who also showed up but he chose us.  The missionaries told us that there was a reason he was with us - comfort, protection, security - but we may never know what it was.  We also were instructed not to feed him (he forages on the land) or pet "Oscar" but they explained that he wouldn't bother or harm us.

Through the following two days he stayed with us, taking every hike our youth took, crossing every river they crossed.  During the first night we thought maybe he was there to chase away the coyotes that kept creeping in closer and closer until finally his firm warning bark scared them away.  The next morning we thought maybe he was there to warn the girls of the snake in the bathroom - not letting them in until the girls went and got their leaders who found the rattler.  And, he could have been there for those reasons.  However, as we were looking through pictures a week later we realized that perhaps there was a greater reason that he was there.  

Cody was in Derek's family.  Cody's parents were our Trail Leader and Food Organizer so they had very big jobs and though they were encouraged that Cody even agreed to go on Trek, they knew he would have to rely on his trek "family" because they would be so busy.  Cody has Aspergers Syndrome.  His parents made all the arrangements for him to come but were honestly surprised that he boarded the bus at 6am and was really going.  They thought he would back out for several reasons:  getting up so early, wearing "weird" clothes, the huge group, not traveling with his parents, being put into a family, the noise, no electronics.  His mom, Mandi, cried as she watched him get on the bus with his trek family.

Kindra turned twelve the week before Trek.  She had not even been to Young Women's yet.  Fresh out of Primary and here she was on Trek.  She was very excited but also has anxiety in group situations.  For this reason, her Dad was on Trek with her.  She also was in Derek's family and her dad was part of our food committee but he was at least available if she needed him.



When we were looking through the pictures we noticed that Oscar was usually in close proximity to either Cody or Kindra.  (In the picture above he is leading the group on the trail and the first handcart is being pulled by Derek and Cody.)  We didn't need to feed Oscar but Cody was found at both dinner and breakfast sharing his food with him and petting him.  Only a couple of people even reached a hand out to Oscar and he would usually move away - even get up and leave - but when Cody pet him, he stayed still and let it happen.  I didn't see Kindra actually have interactions with Oscar but I do know that she has a big golden retriever at home and having Oscar close was probably comforting to her. 

As the food committee we would go ahead of the group to set up our equipment, get the food out and ready to welcome the groups in from their travels.  I had no idea how big of a deal this would be.  We set up four canopies in wind and rain and tried to protect our gas stoves from the wind as we cooked the food.  These Wyoming winds made Rexburg wind feel like a soft breeze and the rain was more like little pellets stabbing at us.  But we did it.  Our kids were trekking through the rain and we would have food for them when they arrived.  The most surprising thing to us that first night was that there was not one complaint from our youth.  Not about the early time or the weather or the hot sun that came out between bursts of rain, or that walking and dust or even the clothing.  Our youth are wonderful! 

Day 2 - Martin's Cove, Devil's Gate, Veil Crossing, Willie Site, Meadow campground
5 mile trek, 2 river crossings

Martin's Cove was a very reverent place.  We had a devotional there with one of the missionaries sharing the Cove's history with us.  Everyone talked in whispers, if at all, and the feeling was very much like being in the temple - on sacred ground.

This was the first day to cross the river and they did it in two different places.  The groups were getting used to taking turns pulling their carts and they all seemed to be going at a record pace.  They were ahead of the schedule the entire week and several of the leaders had to slow them down so that they could keep up. 


Devil's Gate was breathtaking! I can't imagine, though, how the pioneers ever pulled handcarts over that rocky path.  Our youth had a great time playing in the river below, climbing the ridges and having a bit of a break.  The food committee had gone ahead to set up camp so we didn't get to play with them but I heard all about fearless Justin hopping around from rock to rock with no fear.  I was waiting for someone to tell me he had done a back flip off of some dangerous cliff but luckily, he just did his trademark handstand.  I only with I had a picture to add to his handstand collection.

Justin's Family
As I watched my boys pull with their families I was so proud of them.  They never grumbled and even though they didn't initially know their group very well, they were getting along and working together.  


Day 3 - Willie Meadow, Women's Pull, Jens & Elsie Nielson account, Rock Creek Hollow camp A
13 miles of hiking, 1 river crossing

One thing that I have consistently heard about every trek is the women's pull.  This is where the men are called out, representing when the pioneer men were called to go to war, and the women pull the handcarts alone.  A missionary couple shared the pioneer experience with us an then the men all walked away, up over a hill and we could no longer see them.  It was a rather emotional experience.  Many of the girls were crying as we watched them walk away and considered how the pioneer women had felt watching a similar scene.  Then, we as the women had to pull our handcarts up over the same hill that the men had just disappeared over.  It was about a mile long, was very rocky and bumpy in some places and sandy in others and certainly was not easy.  Because of the long hike today, the food committee was able to join in the hiking for this day.  I stood walked next to Justin's family ready to step in and help if they wanted me but they were so determined to make it up the hill without any outside help.  They wanted to show their Pa and brothers that they could do it.  I was caught off guard at their determination and wanted to step in a couple of times but held back.  A few times they would glance my way, as if almost ready to ask for help, but then they would push on.  The entire pull was done in silence. This brought such a reverent feeling to the experience.
  
Derek's Ma and sisters
Justin's Ma and sister

As we pulled up to the top of the hill we could see all of the men flanking both sides of the trail with their hats covering their hearts and most of them with tears in their eyes as they watched their Ma's and sisters pull.  I don't think there was a dry eye in the whole group.  From Derek and Justin's perspective they said it was very hard to stand there and watch without helping or encourage us through words.  As they had waited for us the missionary talked about the Priesthood and honoring women and watching us made them want to step in and take our burden away.  I'm so glad my boys were able to be part of this!

Though I didn't get to help pull or push during the women's pull I still hand my chance with the handcart.  

We were using this to pull one of our staff who had injuries but for the photo op we had Trenna sit in it while we pulled. She went right into character with a British accent and was very proper as we strolled along.

The Jen's and Elsie story became more than a story to our youth.  It began with a missionary telling their story, how Elsie pulled a dying Jen's in the handcart through the snow, by herself and up the hills until she could meet up with the main group again.  Then the missionary had all the youth and leaders (minus the cooking crew who were heading back to set up main camp for the night) walk up to the next ridge, leaving behind Brother and Sister Zimmerman who were going to re-enact the scene.  Once all the youth were at the top the Zimmerman's began pulling their cart up the long hill.  After a distance, Brother Zimmerman collapsed and Sister Zimmerman had to lift him up (not a small guy) and put him in the cart.  At this point we all realized that she was going to try to pull the handcart up the sandy hill with him in it.  As the food crew stood at the bottom we talked among ourselves and decided that if anyone in our group could do it, it would be Tonya.  She trains year round and competes in triathlons and marathons so though we new it would be hard, we didn't doubt her.  Yet, after only going a short distance she kept losing her footing and slipping.  Then the cart would roll backward. 

Later that night when we were all together again, we found out that Tonya was not acting at that point.  She said that at first it did seem easier than she expected but then she just couldn't get sure footing and could not get the handcart to move any further.  The group at the top explained that they had been asked to remain completely silent as they watched and soon the only sound they heard was sniffling as they began to cry.  One of the leaders told me that when Tonya started to slip, many of our young men, including Derek and Justin pushed to the front and it seemed that they were ready to run down to help.  And soon they did. 


Shannon and Kim, the Zimmerman's daughters, led the way and about half of our youth ran down the hill to help. 

After wandering on the trails of wilderness Wyoming for thirteen miles the groups once again boarded buses to join us at Rock Creek Hollow where we would set up for our last night.  The drive would take about an hour by bus and we had gone ahead to have the food set up.  We had the canopies set, the food heated, our own tents set up and still no buses.  After they were about an hour late we started to be a little concerned.  No one had cell phones to communicate with and we knew that they had initially been ahead of schedule so when they didn't show up for so long we started to worry.  After prayer, patience and a healthy dose of worry, the buses finally came through the sandy trail to the hideout known as Rock Creek.  

One of the buses had started to leak exhaust through the air conditioning, not only making it hard to breath but causing extreme heat when there should have been cold air.  Then they started to smell smoke.  From the description, there was a belt burning somewhere and the smoke and smell of that was also being forced in through the air conditioning. 


The driver finally stopped the bus to let everyone off but the automatic door wouldn't open.  A couple of leaders from the other bus, as well as leaders inside the broken bus had to pry the doors open to let the kids off.  Many of them were already light headed, dizzy or suffering from headaches by the time they got off.  Then, to make it all more adventurous, they piled everyone onto one bus and left the broken bus behind. 

When the group finally made it to us they all looked a little dazed and very somber.  They had hiked all day, had a couple of very emotional experiences, "nearly suffocated to death" (as one of the young women stated), and were ready to collapse.  Yet, they still had to set up their tents, make family camp, and eat. All it took was one person humming the tune to "Come, Come, Ye Saints" and everyone slowly started moving.  We saw the exhaustion on their faces, the blisters on their feet, the sunburned noses, the slouched, slow walk but not once did we hear a complaint. 

That evening we faced another wind and rain storm as we reverently entered the burial ground site where thirteen members of the Martin Handcart Company passed away in one night.  Entering that place and walking through to the meadow where we had our closing testimony meeting felt very much like being in the temple.  It was calm and peaceful and everyone had a very reverent attitude about them.  Our testimony meeting was beautiful.  Our youth are wonderful, spiritual giants!  Many of them shared the feeling they had had throughout the experience and as leaders we began to see that all the work, money, preparations, problems that got in the way and we overcame, were very well worth it to have our kids experience this. 


Derek's Family

Derek actually pulled his family handcart the entire time.  The Pa had back problems, the ma and girls were all small, one brother was small and preferred chatting with the girls and Cody did better staying with the group if he was "pulling".  However, his pulling form was leaning on the front handle from the top while Derek held it up from the bottom and it was Derek's momentum that kept Cody walking.  I never once heard Derek complain but I did get several comments from other leaders about how great he was to keep pulling and the way he would talk to and keep Cody going.  Also, on the third day, Kindra was having a hard time so spent the morning with the food committee rather than hiking.  When we all stopped for lunch Derek told her that she could ride on top of the handcart and with encouragement from her trek family, she did.  Derek pulled her up two rather large hills with Cody "helping" right next to him.  I was so proud of him!!  (The top left picture above shows Kindra on the cart, Derek pulling with all his might and Cody working along beside him.)

Other leaders were hearing word of this and when Derek came through the food line they started piling on the food instead of giving him the same rations that everyone else was getting.  He was becoming a bit of a trek hero.



One especially touching moment came the morning of day three when Cody was trying to convince his parents that he was not, under any circumstances, going to hike anymore.  He was stomping around camp while his mom tried to direct food stuff and his dad was working with the missionaries and leaders so they were all on track for the day.  Cody finally sat down on one of the coolers and refused to move. 



I went on helping with food and the next time I looked over I saw Derek sitting with Cody, patiently talking with him.  They sat there together for about 15 minutes and then Derek continued helping his family put stuff away.  Mandi (Cody's mom) was sure that he would be tagging along with us all day but to our surprise, when the families gathered at their handcarts to move out, Cody was with them.  Several times throughout the day I saw Derek taking special note to refill Cody's water bottle or sit by him during lunch and always, Cody was by his side as they pulled the cart.  Cody hiked the entire day!  


Day 4 - Clean up and go home

The morning of day four was a surprise for the food crew.  We were scheduled to be up at seven to get food ready, the whole group would eat, and then we would all pack up.  At 6:30 our tent full of single ladies heard a lot of rustling going on in the kitchen area.  However, we did not get up.  We figured if they were that hungry they could get their own food.  The surprise was on us.  All of the Ma's and Pa's had planned together to get up early and make breakfast for us.  Then the youth all stood by and thanked us and cheered for us as we went through the food line being served by those that we had spent the week serving.  It was a wonderful surprise for us.  We had not hiked the same number of miles but we sure did put in hard work as we did our part and they were grateful.



Even a week later as we got ready for the fireside to show the pictures and tell our stories to our families, many of the youth got together to make signs and take a picture to show their thanks.


  
This Trek experience was much more than I had hoped for or imagined in all the years that I have waited to go.  There was a perfect blend of the spiritual learning with the fun, playful times. 




I was especially happy to share the experience with Derek and Justin.

Every day they would make it a point to come and talk with me even though I was usually surrounded by other leaders.  They would tell me all about their day, give me a hug and I never went to bed without them checking in on me to say goodnight.  On of the other leaders asked me if they were always like that.  When I thought about it I realized that they are.  They do that every day after school and every night I have just a couple of minutes with each one where they seek me out to give me a hug before going to bed.  When I explained that to her she replied that she couldn't imagine her son doing that and that she had only seen him once during the whole week.  It made me really appreciate my boys and our relationship.  I love being part of their everyday lives and talking about the little stuff.  That wasn't the case with Levi or Erika but I'm getting a good healthy dose of lovin' from Derek and Justin.

Just as I suspected, I was born in the wrong time period.  I loved spending the week without make up or doing my hair.  I loved my skirts that left all body image neutral and without any fashion trends to follow.  I loved, seriously loved, my bonnet.  It not only covered my matted hair but it shaded my face and neck from the sun and protected my ears from the wind. And I absolutely loved being without technology.  Not to say that I don't appreciate modern technology but it was so great to be without the distraction of computers and phones constantly grabbing for my attention.  Derek and Justin also mentioned how nice is was to be disconnected.  Justin even avoided the computer when we got home because he didn't want to break that feeling.  Instead, he wrestled with the little boys, went on a bike ride, spent some time on the trampoline, and cuddled with the cats.

Before we left, Justin took some time to get a few flips in.  
I love how Sierra is covering he face while she watches. I know how she feels.  

During the ride home I was once again in the truck with the single ladies.  Rather than stay with the buses that would take much longer, we traveled with the trailer and staff so that we could get there ahead of the youth and unload the trailer making it easier for them to find all their stuff before heading home.  On the way home we came stopped for huckleberry ice cream cones and boy did we get funny looks.  We were still in our pioneer garb, hadn't showered for 4 days and our hair was showing all the signs of Wyoming wind with sand as our hair spray.  We could only laugh it off as we got several looks in Jackson with all of us in our pioneer duds and twice as many women leaders as there were men.  The poor men got some nasty looks and the onlookers faces had polygamy written all over them.

When I walked into my clean home (thanks to Vivien!) I just stood there for a minute.  It was a little overwhelming to jump from the simplicity of pioneer living to the fast paced modern lifestyle of today.  After sleeping in a tent and having all of my personal supplies in a bucket for the week, my house seemed huge and full of stuff that I didn't really need.  It took me a bit to adjust my thinking but then the thought of a warm cleansing shower got the better of me and I immediately jumped back into 2013.

After everything was unpacked, kids were hugged, stories were told and I had showered, I sat down in my air conditioned office ready to face a week worth of emails and office work. To my surprise, I found a message from Vivien.  Even though she knew I wouldn't see it until I was home she sent me and email.  I love that girl!  So, instead of just laughing with her in person over the email or sending a short reply, I answered the way I had answered many emails over the past year that she had been gone. 


On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Vivien Mikleová wrote:

Hey mom! Hows trek? Trek is awesome!!!  Exhausting, stinky, tons of hard work and so much fun!!!  I seriously love it! 

Thought I would let you know how things are going :-)  Good, cause I've been thinking about you!!

Your internet sucks. But its surely faster without Justin on it hehe  Haha...I bet :D  Oh, dang....that means it's still gonna be slow when I get back . . . unless I lose him in the nothingness of Wyoming.

So everything is good. The boys havent had cereal for dinner yet. They even showered. No Way!  You are a great mom!   Its odd not to hear Nathan saying MOOOOOOOOOOM or hear him whining hehe  No fair :D

We went to the movie theater Monday evening - Monsters University.  What?!?!  You went without us?!?!  And that is so typical LeRoy to do a fun adventure FHE when he is in charge.  I'm the boring parent who does lessons and he gets the glory of the fun parent. It was fun and I really liked it cause I am still struggling with high school and choosing university and if I chose medicine (still wondering about it ugh.. havent had I enough of doctors? I am insane.) it would be way tough and I had to take biology and chemistry courses the rest of my high school years blah blah.. so in the movie that little monster (Mike maybe?) had some trouble too but he worked hard and eventually he got his dream job.. Funny how an animated movie got me :D mehehee  That's a lot of thinking for a kids/animated movie!  I understand though.  When you have something pressing on your mind even an animated movie can apply to your life.

I went on a bike ride to town today. Walmart actually. I got dark chocolate cause I am gonna make dinner and need it for that.  Dark Chocolate for dinner????  I want some! Oh talking bout dinner. Where the heck is the scale??! I searched everything but I can't find it and I need it! :-/ I just have to guess then. Today might be the day when the boys end up eating cereal for dinner :D Levi told me he was weighting drugs with it yesterday and he thought he put it back :D  That smarty pants punk!



Erika and Bret took the little boys to the dollar store  and guess they went skating cause they are still not home.. they better not forget to get milk!!
Levi and Daymia are making a mess in the kitchen. Typical! Great. I am sick of cleaning up after everybody (except little boys) but nobody does it besides me and I hate the mess in there. So I am doing the dishes like 3 times a day. Seriouslyyyyyyy   I used to hate it but I spent so much time complaining and trying to change them that I finally decided the only one I can change is me and now I enjoy doing it.  Weird, I know.  Thanks for doing it all!!  I hate to even imagine what the house would look like if you weren't there.  I owe you big time!  Like, maybe a pair of shoes or something :D :D

Sometimes its nice to have Bret and Erika around but they mean more mess too!  AMEN :D Bret making cookies.. junk.. junk sounds so good right now!  . . . little boys eating junk.. mess.. I actually made him clean up after himself and he did :D WTG!

Come home! I miss you!!!!!  Okay....I will :D  Oh, wait....I already did :D

Erika came to zumba with me on Monday. She took me today too and she was gonna sleep in the car but I guess the gym was occupied or something cause we got there and people were leaving so i just sat in a car like what am I supposed to do? then they started working out in the parking lot :D:D I would totally do it outside but.. idk I didnt :D it would have been too awkward walk up there and find a space between some car haha and alone especially!   Well, that's all a bit awkward :D  I'll try going in the morning but I'm not sure my ankles will like me :D 



What else what else... mm that's it :D
Love you!   Love You Forever!

No comments: