Thursday, October 2, 2014

Cramming for Fall

Fall is a very loose term here in Rexburg.  School starts and the summer schedule is gone; the winds change and summer is gone. On a cool summer evening we go to bed only to wake up in the chilly winds of winter.  It is usually during this transition phase called fall that we cram in as much as we possibly can before months of school demands and hibernation set in.

The first frost is our indication that apples have been sweetened to perfection and are ready for picking.  Luckily, the night's frost is melted away into afternoon sun just right for the picking.


Picking turns into preserving! And, ultimately, crazy faces and poses.


Erika Jo bought her own jars this year and spent a couple of evenings making her very own applesauce.  I feel so much satisfaction when I stand back and look at my canning progress but watching Erika achieve her own fruity success was left me oozing with pride!


She also filled twenty four quarts with peaches.  This was not an easy feat with a full time work schedule and only the evenings left for canning but she went right into the late hours with enthusiasm.  She was determined to do it all on her own, following the recipes and directions that I put in her Christmas cookbook last year, asking a couple of questions but not letting me help.  She wanted to practice for next year when she won't have momma close by to help.  I may get a phone call or two next summer (I too call my mom when I forget the minor, once a year details) but she will be able to do it no matter where she lives.


My squirrel-y efforts all shelved together put a smile on my face but those filled jars on the shelf totally make me want to dance or hug someone, or just curl up with a good book, a jar of fruit and a spoon. Peaches, pears, apple sauce, apple crisp filling, apple juice...so much goodness set aside!

~~~~~~~~~~

One of the first things on my summer list is to get the boys in for dental appointments.  Every single summer I put get to the week before the new school year starts and call in a panic trying to get them in before I have to compete with every other parent trying to fit dental appointments around school schedules.

Duck lips are {not} Justin's favorite! No Cavities!!!

~~~~~~~~~~

As the days get shorter and darkness comes on hours sooner than we are used to, the boys snatch their dad right after work
to get in a little baseball time.


LeRoy's back can't handle it for long but he gives his all to throw a few pitches for his boys.  Nathan and Hyrum have never experienced the wrestling, basketball, volleyball, baseball, and flag football with LeRoy that the older four were privy to.  At times, the older kids would opt out of the chance to play because it was so common but Nathan and Hyrum soak up every minute of this precious physical time with dad.

And, then they go beat up their older brothers to make up the difference.


When all energy is gone it's time to cuddle up with a lazy purring cat.


Every once in a while, Zyla (Erika's kitten) will calm down long enough for a nap.

~~~~~~~~~~

LeRoy finished out the summer playing cook for a week long Woodbadge course.


He volunteered to make dutch oven Hawaiin Chicken for the luau and Chicken Cordon Bleu for another night since they are some of his favorites. Little did he know the work that each of those meals involve, especially for 76 people.  His fall back answer when in a tight spot is me.  I went to camp to help on two different days since the three cooks were all first timers in the kitchen and very unsure of what they were doing.  I loved chopping up 20 peppers, 10 onions, mushrooms, 20 pounds of chicken, fruit for a small army, kneading and rolling out a triple batch of rolls and serving it all up from a tiny kitchen with the minimal supplies available. I'm not comfortable in a leader, boss-people-around position but I loved having a staff to direct in the kitchen.  It felt natural and the results were delicious and devoured.

LeRoy also hosted an area dinner party for some of the Legal Shield Associates and their families.  Again, he played chef; serving up a variety of grilled meats to go with the potluck spread provided by the group.


While he slaved over the grill and chatted business with his peeps, the boys and I played in the trees and raced around on
go-carts with the younger family members.


 ~~~~~~~~~~

Our summer finale included some of our favorite people....COUSINS!

Nathan, Hyrum, Max and Zane

No comments: