In the spirit of having a family picture for the holidays, I made a family tree. It is getting harder each year to have a picture with all of us together and I still have a hard time having a "family" picture without Vivien here. This was the easiest solution.
Daymia's was so perfect for her home. Levi is the word play master in our family so this fits them very well. She too free handed everything while Erika and I stood in awe of that perfect font and snowman.
The Littles and I had fun doing crafts during the holiday break from school. We searched around on Pinterest with the rule that we had to have all the supplies. With a full closet of craft supplies growing over the last 8-10 years that left us pretty open to most projects.
We started with candles. It was a new recipe using shortening instead of needing to buy wax (which I love because I do not handle waxy smell well) and we already had some essential oils and the wick string. They made yuck faces while scooping shortening into the jars but they liked mixing in the coloring and oils. Then they became more serious when it was time to measure, weigh down, and set the wick. An evening of fun for a month of holiday scent heaven covered the dirty sock smell in their room quite well.
Deep down inside they were just looking forward to playing with fire.
Since fire was included in the night we pulled out the mini-dogs and they roasted their own dinner.
Our next project included lunch sacks and glue sticks.
They didn't believe that something so simple would turn into the beauty I was promising because I didn't show them a picture. It turned into a great learning conversation which ended up in their stories that they spent hours (literally!) writing. They were also inspired by Derek's 4th grade story "The Christmas I Got Mugged by Santa Clause" because it was so fun to read something from when he was their age.
The next morning we cut out paper snowflakes. It was the first year that Hyrum had enough grip strength to cut his own. The stars and snowflakes were hung in the windows and doorway and our Christmas decorations were complete.
Hyrum went the extra mile to decorate his window using the large paper star he made at school and all of his own snowflakes that he had cut out. He even labeled it so that no one would get his window mixed up with Nathan's.
Aunt Robin dared us to make something creative out of duct tape and we took the challenge.
By fan folding a long strip of duct tape and folding it into a circle we formed an ornament to add our Edwards Grandparents to our picture Christmas tree. You know you're a redneck if . . .









No comments:
Post a Comment