Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Hyrum's Birthday and Baptism


With his new-found Minecraft love we put together a Minecraft dinner.



His Minecraft cake met our sweet tooth needs and he was very excited about his TNT candles, especially when the surviving two candles indicated his girlfriend count.



I questioned if a personalized chef hat and apron were a phase long gone but when he opened them and immediately put them on I knew the Junior Cookbook would also be a hit. With a sword from Nathan he was all set for chopping and baking and he couldn't wait to start.



I couldn't hold back my emotions when I saw my baby nervous and excited for his baptism. I've noticed how each child reacts differently to the occasion with Nathan's baptism in my most recent memory. Nathan couldn't quit smiling and bouncing his feet and was overly excited. Hyrum was deep in thought and emotional. When I asked if he was afraid or if he didn't want to be baptized he immediately expressed that he wasn't afraid and very much wanted to be baptized. "Mom, I'm just close to Jesus and I want to do what's right."


It was just the four of us at the church for about 30 minutes and it was just the time we needed to really feel and take in the experience before everyone else came. He was a tad concerned about immersion and was afraid that his feet would pop up but after a couple of practice runs in the hallway he was sure he could do it. And, he did. After he changed into dry clothes and was confirmed to receive the Holy Ghost, he climbed into my lap giving me a wink and a hug.

Later that night as I tucked Nathan and Hyrum into bed we briefly talked about being clean at baptism and how repentance and the sacrament help us to remain clean after we make mistakes. Hyrum informed me that he had already "prayed for forgiveness because I was arguing with Nathan". My children teach me so much and I am proud to see the faithful young man that Hyrum desires to be.


While waiting for LeRoy and Hyrum to get changed, we all gawked at 2 week old Kailee.

Nathan was so proud to hold her and felt he even got a smile out of her.


After the baptism, we all went to Dairy Queen where Nathan mixed his own "dirty" soda.

His face said it all.


No comments: