Tuesday, November 29, 2016

New Game November

Our first new game of the month was with Justin's new DayDream VR Headset that he got with his new phone. It was very entertaining watching others experience the wow factor as we each lost our balance, wandered in circles with our hands out trying to feel what we were seeing in front of us but it really was even more exciting to experience it first hand. We felt truly transported to the mountains, Daymia's apartment, and a quest pre-programmed in the features.

We also played the new Watch Ya Mouth! game which led to slobbery laughter, sore faces and what sounded like the occasional swear word. We weren't sure if we were more sore from the mouth guards or the extreme smiling and laughter taking place.

Most game nights come at the end of a family meal. "Family" meaning anyone who shows up for dinner, with Sundays being our big family day.

November brought another birthday. The big 45. Some days I really do feel like I'm heading into a mid-life crisis but then my children leave notes for me, give me hugs, share meaningful conversations, send random texts or emails, and I realize that there is no need for a crisis in this, my mid-life. Having young adult and adult children is so rewarding!

On the night before my birthday I was gone until late at night and when I returned home I walked in through the mudroom to find a note hanging from a string in the doorway. Just beyond that I could see that the kitchen had been completely cleaned, even swept and mopped, and my note told me that it was all a gift from Justin. The next day I found a note in my makeup drawer. Another in my computer when I opened it. A note in the dog food container. There was one in the fridge on the almond milk and even one in my scriptures. It made for such a wonderful day! I not only felt loved, I felt noticed. I was surprised to find that Justin knew my daily routine well enough to leave me tidbits of love throughout the day.

Mom also came so that we could share our birthday together. Something that had become tradition but we had missed the last two years while she has been on a mission and traveling. Together we tackled a huge pile of denim that she's moved around for years and we got all the cirlces cut for her denim quilt. It was wonderful to have her visit! I didn't realize that I needed her so much but lately, I've needed my momma. Doing a project together offered us the conversation and quiet time that we have both needed. 


Hyrum's class had a special Veteran's Day program. It started out as any 3rd grade program with some kids making silly faces, some waving at their parents during the songs, and some very bored singing faces. However, during God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood I noticed that my sweet Hyrum was tearing up. I initially thought maybe he needed to go to the bathroom (since that happened in a previous program) but found later that he just really loves the song. He also got emotional when his teacher was introducing the visiting veteran. I personally feel that some of his emotions came from having studied about Papa Edwards and his time serving in Vietnam and catching even a glimpse of what being a veteran meant.



Thanksgiving was very low key at our house. Or at least I convinced myself that it would be since we would be leaving the day after Thanksgiving to celebrate a full blown Thanksgiving everything with our Fullmer relatives in Utah. However, once I started preparing a pared down version of our traditional holiday meal, I accidentally went for it and we had an abundant Thanksgiving feast. My backup plan was to take all the extra food to Utah with us.


We had our Fullmer Thanksgiving at Mike and Kate's house again this year and it did not disappoint. Many games were played; massive amounts of food were consumed; we visited, laughed and napped as our satisfied and over-filled tummies digested. Weekends like this remind me how grateful I am to come from a large family and that most of us are still close enough in proximity that our kids are friends.


 Ah, my furry friends. November seemed to really start taking it's emotional toll on me and these floppy friends were a comfort. Harrison and Charlie are wonderful companions throughout a dreary winter season. Oliver is just ornery but he has his good moments too.

After arriving home from our Thanksgiving weekend I laid on the bed, wrapped in my blanket. Later I found a picture on my phone of me sound asleep with Oliver stretched along my back and Harrison purring right next to my chest. He seems to know that his purr calms my stress. For cats that are not supposed to be in the house, it is nice to have their healing visits now and then.

On another day I was rubbing Charlie's belly while laying on my own belly and when I stopped he jumped up on my back and started massaging with his furry paws.

No comments: