Monday, December 3, 2018

December Decorations: Part I

My favorite decorations are the ones that we made together as a family.


Our footprint snowmen were made in 2011 when Vivien was living with us. Each person got to paint their own hats on, giving them personality closer to their footprint owners.


In 2012 we went from footprints to hand prints to make a tree. In 2013 we used thumb prints for a string of colorful lights. We revisited the hand print theme in December 2017 and added cute baby hand prints of our first grandchild, Kailee Jo.


In 2015 we added our faces to cute little snowmen. Erika's is one of my favorites as she holds her pregnant snowman belly, just like she did while pregnant that year with Kailee Jo. The boys were surprised, and gave me a hard time, that we'd only had Charlie for a year and he made the snowman cut but our cats Harrison (age 12) and Oliver (age 6) didn't make the snowman tree.

Trees are my favorite Christmas decorations. I have several and each has a purpose.

My favorite tree is the one that we decorate with pictures and names of Christ. It stands near the stairway lit with white, reminding us of His light and love.

I also love the tree that is designated for the kids picture ornaments. It holds time still each December as decades of school ornament projects show me their young faces and I'm flooded with memories of my babies.

The big tree in the living room represents a stage of life that I get to decorate my own tree while the little tree in the stairwell holds the yearly Hallmark ornaments that Grandma Hawkins gave to the older kids each year.

Trees also line the mantle and the runner above the couch is my latest sewn project, also full of trees.


Our window nativity is guarded by simple trees as our homemade paper snowflakes sparkle the window sky.


Poinsettias have been my favorite table decoration for the last couple of years. The vibrant red brightens our white-out yard and wood brown kitchen.

I do love the Christmas holiday and over the years I have shopped clearance sales after each Christmas to gather all of my decorations. The house feels cozy, well lit, and joyful. However, this year was different. I love the whole set up but something felt off. Something was missing.

No comments: