When we had our evening at the temple we ended our family night with a walk around the grounds. Now Nathan thinks that it should be a daily thing. I had started to drive up there to walk around the temple for exercise (since all of our area is just flat and up there at least 3 sides of the temple are uphill . . . no kidding!) and after our family night Nathan started to get upset when I would go up there alone. Now it is our Sunday afternoon activity to walk around the temple at least once. Not everyone goes up, I leave that choice up to them, but Nathan and I are always there.
Nathan seems to always find something amazing while we are there. The first time it was a little bat stuck on the wall by the front doors. It was curled up sleeping and Nathan insisted it was Stellaluna. The next time it was the humming birds in the flowers. Another time it was a particular plant that he found fascinating. The week he discovered Moroni on the top he found a new hero (the trumpet man on the temple).
On one Sunday it just wasn't working out that we could get there and as I tried to get Nathan ready for bed he refused, insisting that we had to go to the temple. I couldn't deny his request! I don't ever want him to see me set aside the temple for something else. So at 8pm Nathan and I went on our walk. Because it was later than we have ever been there the lights were all on. That was the spectacular thing for that trip. He stood for a minute just looking around and finally said "that is so pretty mom". For me, the wonderful thing that day was holding hands with my three year old who is so willing to learn the gospel, and who is helping me to learn to live the gospel, to have a quiet, peaceful walk encompassed by a warm loving feeling that I know was our Heavenly Father smiling down on two of his children.
I hope Nathan will always have wonderful memories of the temple and will continue to have a strong desire to go there. I feel so blessed to have him in my life to keep me focused on the temple and all it represents at a time in our family when it seems that everyone is going their own direction.
7 comments:
That is really special Kimberly! Thanks for sharing that!
what a precious story. my kids want us to at least drive by everytime we come to rexburg...kayelynn has even announced that is where she will be married when she becomes a mom...love it!!
Thank you for sharing the sweetness of your little Nathan! I grinned and teared up at the same time listening and watching him sing the song. He is soaking in your teaching and giving it right back to you. What an amazing time for both of you.
I cried, Andie watched it four times and sang with him on the fifth. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful memory.
Thanks for sharing, don't take that for granted, now that we are not close to the temple I realize how much it was a part of our lives and conversation in Rexburg. You are lucky to be so close.
You Inspire me Kimberly to do better! You are such an Amazing Mother and Example to me!!!
Your blogs make my life better:.)
Thank You!!!
That is a great Sunday activity and a wonderful time for you and Nathan to grow closer to your Father in Heaven while appreciating the blessings of having the temple so close. Thanks for sharing. It was touching. And I loved the video... :)
Post a Comment