Saturday, September 26, 2009

Puberty: Hair It Comes

It began as a tri-weekly boys activity for LeRoy, Nathan and Hyrum to all stand at the bathroom mirror (Nathan and Hyrum on the counter) for a little hair razing. During one of their scavenger hunts through our bathroom drawers and cupboards the little boys discovered LeRoy's old electric razors. Ever since then they have shaved faithfully morning, mid-day, noon, afternoon and evening. I can usually tell where the boys are by the humming that buzzes from their lips as they imitate a big boys world using their "shavers".


I don't know what it is about my boys and facial/body hair but Derek also had a fascination with it at age three. One evening when I pulled his shirt off for his bath I noticed little 1/4 inch to 1 inch marks all over his chest and into his armpits and as I took off his pants there were the same little marks all over his legs. My immediate assumption was that Erika had worked her artful magic on Derek. From the time she could pick up a pencil, pen, crayon, marker or any other writing tool, she had been creating art on walls, blankets, cupboards, tables, clothes and her body. I figured she needed a new medium and had chosen to use her brother.

Derek's response not only proved me wrong but had me laughing to tears and has since stood as one of the great Derek stories in our family history.

"Who wrote all over your body Derek?"

"Nobody."

"Then what are all of these pen marks from."

"I got hair like Daddy."

Our further conversation revealed Derek's desire to be "big like Dad" which, in his three year old mind, meant pit hair, chest hair and leg hair (luckily his hairy desire stopped there).

This manly fetish didn't stop when he turned four. Oh no, he is still waiting for pit and chest hair. When Levi was about 13 and complaining of his arm pits itching we reviewed why that would be only to discover that he indeed had stubble coming in. Derek (at age 8) whined in jealousy, "when can I get pit hair".

In preparation for this silly post I asked Derek if he remembers his past fascination with body hair to which he disgustingly replied, "yes, and I still don't have any pit hair", followed up with a bragging "but I think I might need to start shaving my mustache soon". Evidently puberty is the reverse for him what it was for Levi. From age 12 to age 13 Derek gained 3 inches and is currently the tallest member of our family (even taller than LeRoy), but stubble he has not. Levi waited until age 17 to have any kind of growth spurt but was shaving around age 13. The grass is always greener . . . or the hair is always fuller.

And now you have just been exposed to the puberty secrets of the Edwards boys. It may begin physically around age 13 but mentally it hits them at 3.

4 comments:

JT42 said...

that is too funny. there's a lot of buzzin' going on at the edwards!! :D

mom said...

I love the way they hold their mouths just as if they were shaving. Boy, the power of example.

Kate said...

Super cute! What a great idea to give them the old ones. My boys want to play with the razor too, and one time Korben even turned it on and tried to shave, leaving a rash all over his chin. They'd love it if I gave them the old ones. Woohoo for one more free toy!

I love the hair complaints. I wish I had the problem of no armpit hair...we always want what we can't have huh? :D

~*Autumn*~ said...

That post is so cute Kimber! I love how you share those things from back in the memory banks and tie them with today's happenings too. Thank you so much for the laugh and smiles that came from reading this! Gotta love them boys! :) Right now Landon is 3 and isn't remotely interested in hair of any sort... except mine when he decides it times for him to "fix" my hair. lol