Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bodies: The Exhibition

On a no-school day I decided to take my teens to see the Body Exhibit at the museum. Justin was a little worried because he gets queasy with medical things but the "wow" factor way out played the "gross" factor and he loved it. We all did. I was going to post a picture from the website but just in case that would make anyone sick, I won't. But here is the link: Bodies

We also took with us one of Derek's friends (Chris) and picked up Levi on the way. Before we left town we agreed to get all the naked body giggles and jokes out of the way before we got there and when we were met by the first exhibit we didn't even notice the nudity. . . at least none of the kids mentioned anything.

It was interesting to see each of the kids reactions. Levi was intrigued with the brain; Erika the muscles and full body displays (as well as the little mushroom belly buttons on each full body); Derek and Justin were both fascinated with the blood vessel displays and how just the blood vessels alone could look like a full body.

We were all completely fascinated with the "baby room" (as Justin calls it). There was a sign outside of the room that explained that the display was fetus/embryos from all different stages of miscarriage to warn people of the sensitive nature. I had already talked with Kellie about it (she saw the display when she lived in Virginia) and I had decided that I wanted to see. It was indescribable. What a miracle each person is!! To see creation taking place in such perfect form so early on in fetal development - practically days into the growing process - seemed so miraculous! The display was so tactfully done that the room held a special reverence. Levi's comment, "can you even imagine how many emotions are tied to this room", was so observant and sensitive.

My favorite part of the trip was the witness to me that we are definitely not just a freak of natural or scientific accident. That much perfection could not take place without our Creator directing it all. I came away from the experience wanting to treat my body so much better. To see how prone to injury the spine and organs and eyes and brain and everything else holding it all together can be left me with a greater respect for the miracle that my body is. To look at it in a preserved form (as Levi mentioned, we are just "dust of the earth") it seems so clear that no matter how miraculous that body of clay is, it is nothing without the intelligence of our spirits.

We were there for just over two hours and to be honest I would love to go back. There is so much to see and read and be in awe about! For a quick ad: the price may seem high to us Idahoans ($10 adult, $8 youth, $30 family) but when I saw the prices of the other Bodies Exhibits in the country ($24 - $32 even for youth tix) I was glad we could see it here. Go see it! You won't be disappointed.

Okay, commercial over.

After the museum we went for 88 cent crunch wraps at Taco Bell. We laughed and laughed and had a great memorable time. Chris didn't want us paying for him but we insisted and when he refused to eat I threatened that we would all break out in singing Happy Birthday, since it really was his birthday. He was going to call our bluff until Levi threatened to stand on the table and air guitar/head bang the whole song. Chris quickly grabbed a taco. It was the best lunch I've had in a long time. Not because of the food but because of the company. I really love being with my kids - and their friends!

We took Levi home with us and the little boys were thrilled to wrestle with him and beat him up and he is so great to let them. Caytlyn joined us after she got off work and after a lasagna dinner - where it seemed that all 5 of my boys fought over who got to sit by Caytlyn - we all settled in for movie night with "The Tooth Fairy".

This was such a perfect day for me!! The kids all got along so well . . . all day long! We laughed, we played, we learned, we enjoyed each other. It was fun to have Levi and Caytlyn over and to have the family feel complete, even for just one evening, with all my kids home. They are all so great! I am very honored to be their mother.

No comments: