Thursday, November 10, 2011

I, Eye, Electricity

LeRoy has been trying to get Hyrum to say "I need . . . " instead of "me need". When Nathan came and told me that he needed something Hyrum tried to correct him, even though he had said it right. Needing a little back up to support his correcting he ran over to me and said,

"It's I need not me need, huh mommy? Daddy learned me that".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After 2 lasik surgeries I am back to wearing glasses. I've been trying reeeeeelly hard to ignore it but after asking Vivien to point out Erika and Derek in their play and realizing that I can't see faces at church or read any road signs or tell when someone is gesturing a facial hello or glare from across the room I figured it was time to fess up. And I was having flashes of light in my left eye. The first time it happened I thought I had a paparazzi stalker in my kitchen.

While Kellie was here visiting I asked her to help me pick out frames and then it was easy to get the appointment done. She was awesome! Having an optometry shopper is the only way to go (for me).

During the week that I had to wait for the glasses I realized how really bad I had let it get. I was actually excited about glasses. Contacts aren't an option right now because I see fine to read and be on the computer but everything else was a big foggy world around me. I put them on for my drive home from the office and I was practically a 5th grader again, reliving that first pair of glasses and seeing the world with spectacular vision. I'm sure I had the dorkiest smile on as I giggled like a school girl, reading out loud every street sign as fast as I could. I wanted to roll the window down to sing along with the pedestrian that I could see....really see...was singing along with her ipod - who cares that our songs would be different. And then I took notice of the trees. Oh, My! I could see every naked branch on every naked tree. They were gorgeous! I have missed seeing nature.

It was a little dizzying to get home and not really know when to take them off. I wasn't used to seeing every color in the carpet or the sayings on the wall art and suddenly my children looked so stunningly beautiful. I was giddy. Then it was bedtime storytime and I realized I needed to part with them for a bit. I was sad to give up seeing the facial expressions of the person sitting across the room from me but I just can't read while seeing double and I AM NOT ready for bifocals. I will adjust.

I have been asked if I regret having lasik done or if I could sue them or get a refund. Hey, I was nearly blind and now I see. It took me almost 6 months after my first surgery to quit trying to take glasses off (that weren't there) to get in the shower or grab for them on my nightstand first thing in the morning. I have not regretted it for one day, even with the dry eyes, amount of saline bottles I have purchased, the glare of headlights at night or even the fact that I won't ever be able to do a late night eyeball massage ever again. I really do miss being able to rub my eyes, it's the closest thing to thumb sucking that I can relate to. Still, this is sooooo much better and I am very grateful for lasik, optometrists, glasses and eye drops.

Oh, and the flashes of light? Vitreous detachment. Basically, I'm getting old. My eyeballs are aging more rapidly than my birthdays. We'll have to watch out for retina detachment - which is a problem - but for now I just deal with occasional flashes of light and foggy floaters in my vision. If you ever see me jump suddenly for no apparent reason or randomly space off like I'm trying to look at my brain then you know that the detachment is fooling with me. It's all good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We have crappy electrical service out here. Everyone around us is on Rocky Mountain Power and yet we fall on the Fall River Electric grid. Just our subdivision and the one right past us. Don't know what deal was made for that but here we are without power on almost a weekly basis during even the most lame of windstorms.

This morning the power flickered off and on nearly 20 times. I know because every time it happened I had to go restart the dryer and couldn't blow dry my hair or flush the toilet (the well pump is electric) and was cut off in the middle of a phone conversation twice due to our cordless phones. It's not that I can't live without electricity for a time here and there, I do it frequently, it just seemed to interrupt my routine a little more than usual today. By 3:00 it was out for good, at least for 67 minutes. The boys were getting frustrated that they couldn't play downstairs - too dark, with the storm clouds gathering around us - or watch a show, or play on the computer or flush the toilet or wash their hands or stand in front of the fridge with the door open or heat any water for hot cocoa. I gathered them into the living room to build a fort and, with a flashlight, read some stories. They were more than willing but Nathan still stated in a rather impatient tone, "why don't you just have dad fix it? He's an electrician!"

And that was our next step if the power was still out by dinner time. Dad would fire up his toys and with our gas generator we would have power. Go Dad! (Mom can do it too but I'll let Dad be the electrical hero, I'm the fort hero today.)

No comments: