Friday, May 17, 2013

As the sunless winter wore me down I felt an overwhelming urge to create something so I pulled out the sewing supplies and got to work.  I had a kit that I had purchased a few months before on a clearance sale and determined that I would have it finished by March 1st.  This much sewing and quilting needs to be displayed for more that just a couple of days so my goal was to have it up for the whole month of March.  I initially thought it would be a stretch to get it finished in thirteen days but as I started quilting for the first time since having Lasik done I couldn't put it down.  I had to learn to adjust my eyes just right and look at it  differently than I was used to but once I got the hang of it I completely enjoyed it.


At 11:45pm on February 28th I finished and spent the next half hour hanging it, adding ivy leaves to the top and swapping the curtain in the living room for the ones in my bedroom (the red of the curtains and the green of the table runner didn't look like Christmas, it just looked odd).


Levi, Derek and Justin all noticed it the next morning and offered lots of praise for the work done and how the room looked.  I had to point it out to LeRoy the next day when he still hadn't noticed it.  Nathan and Hyrum kept standing up on the back of the couch to count shamrocks and the quilted hearts in the center of the shamrocks.  Suddenly, Nathan jumped down and asked, "what are you making for April?"

My need to craft was still hanging on so after searching around online I found a bundle of scrap fabric and ordered it.  I didn't quite know what I would be making and figured once the fabric got here I would come up with something.   I didn't quite have enough to do what I wanted to with the center but I was so happy with the colors that it started to grow on me.  My favorite part ended up being the quilted daisies.


On April 2nd, after swapping out the curtains and ivy, our spring living room was ready with a
colorful table runner filling in the winter shadows.


No comments: