Fertilizer
I have admired flower beds around town and attempted to beautify my own yard in similar ways. Though I do enjoy the color added to my yard, I've never had much luck transforming my little seedlings into their lush potential. I made sure the roots had sufficient soil and water and thought nature would do the rest. After weeks of watering I had minimal blossoms.
During the early weeks of summer I had a visit from my visiting teacher. We were discussing the woes and joys of gardens and yards when she let her secret slip. Flower fertilizer. So simple, yet it never crossed my mind.
In a matter of weeks I witnessed the beauty that comes from the proper care and nutrition necessary for full petunia potential. Even the Peruvian lillies next to the petunias blossomed in seeming gratitude for the minor adjustment in attention and care.
Thoughts of my own potential and that of my children crossed my mind. Have I planted them in the life soil provided hoping for the best or do I give them the gospel nutrients and teachings that they need to grow to their full glory? Do I putter through each day barely covering have-to's and must-do's or am I caring for the most important aspects of my journey here on earth?
The Grass is Always Greener
The first snow of the winter came in early November. As I stepped out back to feed the cats, my eyes immediately turned to the beautiful green of the field across the way. The beauty of the field seemed to mock me as I stood surrounded by cold snow in my own yard.
A trip to the school forced me to pass the seemingly unaffected field.
From a distance it appeared that the field was untouched by snow but a closer look proved that no area of land can avoid the storms when they come. Perhaps they have the ability to appear unaffected but they are dumped on nonetheless.
It reminded me of years past when I felt that every family around us was perfect; unaffected by the storms raging around our family and home. Becoming closer to those families has shown me that we are all hit by the same storms. Some families hide it better than others. The best we can do is warm each other with love through the snowy winters of family life.
Sunrise, Sunset
I stared out the window one cold morning fighting the gloom that seemed to be creeping into my soul. Justin walked in the room, stood beside me, looked out the window and said, "grab your camera, mom, that's a picture worthy sunrise."
I was caught off guard by his ability to see something picture worthy on such a frosty, grey morning.
Throughout the day and weeks to come I have taken Justin's optimistic example to heart and really tried to see the remaining beauty around me as our part of the world enters the bleak winter season. I found a glimpse of the sun peeking through thick clouds. I have stared at the naked tree in my front yard as I visualize it's beauty to come in the spring with hope and a reminder that this season is temporary. On one particular day all I could find was gratitude for the sunset and the moonlight as they closed out the day and allowed me to rest. Most of all, I have tried to see God in his creations. I am grateful for the witness of his love as I find majestic treasures, though sometimes hidden, in all the world around me.
The Warmth of the Sun
On a foggy, frosty morning I went out for a walk. As I meandered my way around the block I noticed that there was a distinct difference in the landscape based on where the sun was able to spread its warmth.
The areas touched by the sun were free from the dewy frost of the previous night but those areas still in the shadows were tipped
with chilly crystals.
I want to be in the warmth of the Son. I want the chills of anxiety, doubt, and frustration to be melted away by His warmth.
'Tis The Season
Once there was a snowman.
He looked so different the next morning.
This once adorable snowman melted his way into my heart as he awkwardly stood as witness that I need to cherish each season of life. There have been times when I have wished away a difficult stage with a child or prayed to be released from a trial but on this day I was humbled with the reminder that all these seasons "will come together for good" and that "it shall be but a small moment." As I glance over the twenty four years of our family I wish back some of those days, even some hard ones, having not fully gleaned all that I could have from them. I look forward to the eternity of our family and, like Mary, hope to keep "all these things and ponder them in [my] heart."


No comments:
Post a Comment