Sunday, December 10, 2017

Holiday Projects

When Justin moved out, he left a pile of washed and folded Madison and Airbound t-shirts in the bottom of his closet. There sat a pile of memories from four years of gymnastics, orchestra and cheer. Our  red, white and gray Madison Bobcat was moving on to be a purple and black Weber Wildcat. 


I awkwardly folded the shirts the best I could to show the main graphic so that I could arrange a pattern. I figured out a size to cut them and had a tentative plan but by the time I got them all cut, no matter how I rearranged the squares, I could not get the columns to match up without odd spacing. After nearly two hours, I was starting to go a bit cross-eyed and get a little frustrated. I realized that I needed another shirt but I had already used up all that he had, including one of his actual cheer uniform tops (big "CATS" and the pawprint). 


The answer finally came when I decided to walk away for a bit and went to take a shower. As I went to undress, I realized that I was wearing a Madison shirt that was not a duplicate graphic to any of Justin's other shirts. It was my fan shirt that was given to all the moms of the cheer team. It was one of my favorite comfy shirts that I wore every single week. I considered it throughout my shower and decided that the best  addition to the quilt would be my shirt because I am his number one fan! 
Though the idea was wonderful, it still took a good pause before I cut it up.

With a soft flannel backing, I tried a new quilting method using my sewing machine and had it bound and ready to go for Christmas. 


Justin loved it (measured by the tears he tried to hide) and sent me a couple of Snaps of it in gratitude.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daymia inherited a Christmas village set from her parents and wanted to be able to display it in her apartment without it feeling crowded so she researched (thank you Pinterest) and found a wooden display tree. 


Derek to the rescue. A couple of hours on CAD to design it and come up with measurements, a trip to the hardware store, an afternoon full of cutting, drilling, whistling and singing and it was complete. He literally makes dreams come true!


Perhaps a little taller than she had expected, but it worked beautifully!


And will be an annual decoration in her home.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


After having the idea in mind and the fabric in the closet for a good two years, I finally put together a Christmas runner.


As with most of my sewing projects, I tried new techniques and it has it's own "personality" woven into it. 


I love the vibrant colors! It turned out better than I had imagined.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a time when my home was full of kids and my mantle full of stockings lovingly cross stitched by Great Grandma June Hawkins and Grandma Trudy Fullmer. 


Five of the seven kids moved away and took their stockings, leaving only Nathan and Hyrum to fill a big house and a big mantle. Our four mismatched, differently angled stockings left our mantle looking a bit like a cartoon block from Charlie Brown's Christmas, so it was time for a makeover.


No worries, our hand-crafted Grandma stocking were placed over on the staircase where they could still be adored but also hang their individual direction without hurting my OCD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For an early December Family Home Evening we decorated ginger bread houses. With just the four of us, our ginger village census was down from previous years.



No comments: