I had a terrible night and I was very swollen this morning but hey - I didn't have to wash my hair. My first blessing came when LeRoy came home early from meetings before church started (not usually the case) and he was able to get Nathan ready for church - he even kept him on his lap on the stand until after the sacrament. That 20 minutes is huge for me!!
So many times I just endure sacrament meeting but I was touched so much by this one. We had a young man who is entering the MTC on Wednesday that spoke. This usually means thank everyone over and over, say how unprepared you are and drag out the time but I was so impressed. He shared his feelings about leaving and how he knew he was not alone and then focused on the Atonement and how none of us are ever alone - regardless of our weaknesses/trials, etc. It was one of the better talks I have ever heard on the Atonement. Then his brother spoke - who happened to get home from his mission 3 months ago. He had all the young men/women stand who have filled out papers or have their calls for missions. Then he had all those who have served missions stand. It was such an overwhelming feeling of support and love! He also talked on how we are not alone and included our responsibility to share our knowledge of that with others. It was such a great meeting! Definitely worth getting out of bed for!
The next blessing came (in spite of my lack of faith) when Levi, Erika and Derek played with 2 other kids and 1 leader for the opening of 5th Sunday combined meeting. It was like a mini orchestra playing "Love One Another" through 4 times and ending with only 1 violin playing. The reason I lacked faith on this is that the kids were asked yesterday morning to do this and they only played through it together once. It was so beautiful and it immediately quieted down the chapel of all the visiting that was going on with the missionary boys. Oh me of little faith! Here is a picture that I took of them while they practiced last night.
As a little side note to this I am grateful for leaders who have good relationships with my kids. The man who was teaching the 5th Sunday lesson is the one that asked the kids to play and he also played with them. Levi has been asked several times to play the viola in church and keeps refusing. When Brother Buchanan asked him he willingly agreed. I couldn't believe it. I think the biggest part of it was that Bro. Buchanan wasn't asking Levi to do something that he wasn't willing to do himself and he also has made a point to get to know and include the young men and women in his calling (ward mission leader). Levi has such a great talent and it was good to see him play outside of school orchestra and practicing at home.Another blessing - Nathan went to nursery and I only had to stay 10 minutes before sneaking out and he did great! Any mother will understand the blessing that this is. He also looked so adorable in his new tie and church clothes. He has been growing so fast that I had to get new ones for him. Suddenly my baby looked so grown up!
Once we got home we realized that we didn't have any additional meetings today - so unusual!! Levi wanted to play a game with me, I agreed, he chose Monopoly (not my favorite) and so Derek, Levi and I played - for 2 hours. My hip will never be the same after today. Don't I know any better than to sit on the floor for that long?!?! It really was fun - especially for Derek as he wiped out Levi and I!In the mean time Erika decided to make a cake but we were out of eggs. I showed her the powdered eggs, which she kind of wrinkled her nose at but when I told her that the last time I made crepes they were made with only powdered milk and powdered eggs she decided to try it. Needless to say - the cupcakes are all gone! Derek has been making omelets nearly every day (that is why we were out of eggs) and he wanted to try the powdered eggs for an omelet - not good. So I guess my hidden message here would be that it is easy to rotate your powdered eggs and milk by making crepes and lots of cakes - but beware of the 'powdered' omelet!
Now Nathan is in bed, everyone is reading or doing something quiet and I feel somewhat ready to start another week. Another blessing: I only have 12 more Sundays before my due date!! Then I will have a whole new set of mental excuses to overcome to get myself to church. I'm just so grateful that over and over again I am blessed and rewarded for going (not necessarily every week but it does come) even when my attitude is not right.
2 comments:
I am so excited that you invited me to your blog. YEAH!! Wow those kids have changed so much. I sure do miss you guys and all the fun we had. I completely understand your blog title. I agree most of the time, especially this post- Sunday Blessings- with all my complaining about doing it alone and yet we are blessed to continue. Congrats on the pregnancy- No idea!!
The kids and I gathered around and read so many of your past posts on your blog. It was good to catch up and look at pictures. We sure miss you guys! We'll keep checking back!
Post a Comment