Erika has been doing track for the last month. Her first home meet was on Thursday. I couldn't believe how graceful she looked going over the hurdles! She is also fast but she made it look so easy. I was always afraid of the hurdles in PE. I feel like I really never see Erika besides he getting up to leave and getting ready for bed. With track, dance and mutual we really don't see her until at least 6:00 every night. Some nights it is even later. I wondered if she would get burnt out doing this but she seems to thrive on it. I see a little bit of Kellie and Kate in her. She is very cheerful, helpful when she is around, and loves to be going, going, going. She has kept her grades up, still practices her violin, does her chores and has cut her mirror time to about 15 minutes. After several months of attitude, sneaking around, and defiance to all family rules I say with cautious optimism that I really enjoy Erika as a teenager. She is so beautiful, has so much potential and at this point in her life seems to be on the 'right' track.
Levi had a fashion show in his spanish class on Friday. He and his partner had decided to be the "Blue Men" and were taking the run way to the blue man music. His trip to DI turned out to be a rather blue experience. Levi has also been my biggest help with Nathan and Hyrum this week. He is such tender big brother. He told me that he was sad to realize that Hyrum will only be Nathan's age (2) when he graduates from school. Maybe he is trying to get in as much time with him as he can - whatever the case, he is very helpful with both boys and I love watching them all together. This week Levi and I also spent some time getting him registered for his Junior year. I was so impressed with his careful planning to make sure he had classes that would help with college. It was the first time that he has ever mentioned college. He also put on his schedule to take 1 trimester of early morning seminary so that he could still fit in all the necessary classes, a small engines class and still do orchestra. I had no idea that he really does think things through, is planning on college, enjoys orchestra and is willing to go to school an hour early for seminary.
While at DI, Levi found a pair of Elmo slippers which he purchased for Nathan. Of course this inspired Nathan to spend extra time gazing at his monster self in my mirror again. Nathan also discovered that Hyrum's diapers have Sesame Street characters on them. The first time he pulled all of the diapers out was cute enough that I pulled out the camera. Now, after having diapers scattered in a trail from the bedroom to the living room for 2 days, it doesn't seem quite as cute. What still remains entertaining is that every time I change Hyrum, Nathan quickly comes to check out which Sesame Street character is on the diaper coming off and the diaper going on. ~~ His bad habit of jumping on the couch led to a face plant in the arm of the couch, a bloody nose and a purple nose. He evidently didn't learn from the experience because he has still been caught jumping on the couch.
Justin has been part of the pee-wee ballroom dance team (because they needed another boy or one of the girls would have to drop out) and had his group picture Thursday. It was rather amusing to watch all these 3rd graders being positioned for pictures and they actually had to touch each other. The instructor has done great to get them to stand in dance position for the cha cha but posing for pictures was another matter all together. I'll post the final picture when we get it.
Derek has been dying to build something since we moved in and he saw that we added a workbench in the garage just for him. Last week he was itching to build so took apart his toolbox and put it back together, just so that he could use his tools. After our builder finished framing up for the back steps on Friday he left a pile of scrapwood that he said he would come and get rid of. Derek quickly scooped up the pile, hauled it to the workbench and built a birdhouse. That kid's creativity is awesome. He can look at a pile of wood and see a finished project. Derek and Nathan are the outdoorsmen in our family. They would both be quit content to just leave the acre as dirt rather than planting grass.
Hyrum is on a normal baby schedule. . . eat, burb, sleep, cry, diaper change, eat, burb, etc. He is becoming more alert and even looks like he is going to have adorable chubby cheeks like Nathan did. I teared up a little this morning as I looked at him gazing into my eyes (instead of at the ceiling) and realized that he is now out of newborn diapers, is getting a little baby fat on him and already seems to be growing up. I can't believe it has already been 4 weeks! I love it that he curls into me and loves to cuddle. It was really slowing down my house cleaning and office work until I remembered that someone had given me a snugli when Nathan was born (Nathan hated it!) and we tried it out. Magic! Now he gets to cuddle up with me and I still get alot done, though I have noticed a little back ache after a good afternoon of carrying him around.
LeRoy has completely set up his "man's room" and he also took on the daunting task of cleaning the garage (you know, all that last junk stuff that has to be moved out of the old house but you're not quite sure where to put in the new house, if it should even be kept at all). He also surprised Derek and Justin with bikes today. They had both outgrown the small bikes they were using and we were needing to change tire rims on one of them. He found a good deal on a couple of them and instantly became the favorite parent when he drove up to the house with 2 new bikes. During an overnight scout trainig LeRoy was 'forced' to play Bunco. He won a prize for lowest points but didn't really see the excitement of the game. I've tried to explain to him that my monthly Bunco getaway has nothing to do with the game and everything to do with a night out with the girls.
I have been trying to get up the courage to put holes in the walls to hang pictures. So far I have 2 up - not getting the job done very fast. I have loved cooking in my new kitchen and it has been great to have family dinner without anyone having an extra elbow in their side. I really am working on taking pictures of the house (Mom keeps asking for them) but I haven't done it yet. That will be my goal for this coming week.
After 4 weeks of being baby bound, moving, unpacking, getting over an infection, and attempting to feel somewhat normal after having a baby I made the courageous effort to go out on my own today - no kids, no husband. I took Elder Ballard's conference talk to heart and decided it was time to fill my near empty well. I was gone for 5 hours and it was great. What did I do? Shop for food storage items. I love that actually. I also stopped in Menan to see a friend who is due in 3 weeks, wandered around a couple of stores for decorating ideas and mostly just did whatever I wanted to. I got home a little late to really put anything together for dinner. The kids were delighted when I announced that we were having bread and milk. LeRoy wasn't so thrilled but he's a big boy.
Now I am off to bed, replenished and ready to meet the new ward.
2 comments:
It seems like forever when you are waiting for a little one. When they get here time never seems to stand still and it goes by fast. You sound like a pretty busy lady. I agree with bunco, it is not because the game is so fabulous. It is the time away to have good conversation and fun with friends.
What a great update on your family! I like reading about what they are all doing. You have a paragraph for each one of them and I know that throughout each paragraph you are the one behind it all. There could be the list of things that you did for them to make it all possible. Rides, food, laundry, encouragement, attending activities, shopping, registering. All while caring for a brand new baby and trying to heal yourself. You are superwoman and my hero!
Post a Comment