Monday, June 30, 2008

Derek's Big Day(s)

Happy Birthday Derek!

Derek's birthday was actually last Wednesday but because of 2 camping trips we said Happy Birthday on Wednesday and celebrated it on Sunday.

First, Derek went on a hike . . . an 18 mile hike! It was his first backpacking hike where he had to take everything on his back for the 2 day trip.

When he got home he was covered in dirt, had a very tired smile on his face and was limping from 2 huge blisters on his feet.

I am amazed at how a hike/camp of this sort seems to transform my boys into young men. Derek has always been a little bit of a softy and quite emotional but as he told me about his trip and I heard later from his leaders, he really grew up in those 3 days and handled the work, blisters, soreness and tiredness really well. His weakness was talking and singing in his sleep. And Saturday morning he was so tired that he didn't get out of his tent until the other boys started folding him up in it . . . and because it was shaped a little like a coffin (small one man tent) they threatened to put a "here lies Derek" sign by it.

After Derek got back on Saturday, LeRoy and I took him to dinner and let him pick out a present for his birthday. His big present is a suit, but we have to find one small enough and have it fitted (on todays schedule). He picked out a remote control truck and by Sunday it was hard to seperate him from his truck.

Sunday brought the very best part of Derek's 12th birthday. He received the Priesthood. As he had interviews with the primary president and then the bishop and then his deacon's quorum presidency came over to welcome him he seemed to grow at each step. The ordination was a beautiful blessing and as I listened I had glimpses of what a great young man Derek is, that his soft heart and gentle manner will be a blessing in his life and others.

Then we finally got to singing a real Happy Birthday to him and ate cake. It was a treat to have Jake, Jessica, Mom and Dad celebrating Derek's big day with us.

2 comments:

Goodrich said...

I didn't know Derek and I shared the same birthday- 25th?? Happy Birthday Derek, I can't believe he is 12.

Kate said...

An 18 mile hike?! Crazy.

When I was visiting, I got to see a little more of Derek's personality. He was so good with Korben...so patient and totally willing to humor him. I'm glad his birthday went well.

Oh, and I love the cake. It is so simple and cute. I need to remember that simple is just as good as elaborate sometimes.