Saturday, December 20, 2008

Orchestra Concerts

The concerts are my reward for all the whining, eye rolling, sighs that I put up with to get 3 kids to practice their string instruments. I also get to see a brief glimpse of accomplishment and satisfaction as the kids perform, acknowledging that they know they are part of something good and worthwhile.

I was afraid that Derek's concert would be a bit hard on the ears since I had already attended the jr. high and high school concerts. Much to my surprise it was a wonderful concert. The instructor makes all the difference.

Levi and Erika started orchestra when the middle school was trying to find someone to replace the instructor who had retired. They went through 3 intructors in 4 years and it was not good for the students. There was even 1 instructor who bad mouthed the kids and told the audience how aweful they sounded when introducing them at their concert. The program is now in much better hands and growing quickly, not only by numbers but by talent. Each class at the middle school ranges from 92 to 107 students. What an awesome sight to see that many kids working together to play classical, jass, and fiddle music and have a fun time doing it and to see that positive influence carry on as they progress through high school.

Derek and Ryan practice at our house after school about 3 times a week. There is much less whining when a friend is involved!

5 comments:

JT42 said...

I remember the orchestra days...I LOVED it!! In fact, I hope to be able to find someone, somewhere that would be willing to teach me and "loan" me a instrument instead of having to purchase one...I hope your kids stick with it! they are very talented children!!!

mimi said...

Great Pictures ! I love the Orchestra...

Kate said...

Looking good guys!

I can't believe that many kids are in orchestra. That is awesome!

Johnny Snaks said...

VERY AWESOME! I'm glad they all did well. Keep on playin!

~*Autumn*~ said...

Your kids look great all gussied up! I am glad you get some payoff for the frustrating sruggles you go through. ;)