I also hate to sew in front of people (or do any craft in front of people), or to even let someone know that I am doing a project, let alone let them watch. What if I tell someone my hopes of a dazzling outcome and it turns out awful? Or I just don't finish it? Then I'm a failure in someone else's eyes and not just my own. Ok, I realize most people wouldn't even care, but that's one of the very many quirks that make up my anti-social, insecure, perfectionist personality.
It has been hard for me over the last 4 months to sit with 11 other women and actually cut fabric and sew in the same room with them. But it has all been very worth it. I've learned designing, measuring, cutting, and sewing to create a work of fabric art and I am excited to use it for more projects in the future. I've learned short cuts, tricks to piecing, hand applique techniques and more about fabric than I ever thought would be necessary. We are making table runners. I can't imagine my table ever being cleaned off long enough to use it as a table runner so I'm going to hang it on a quilt hanger on the wall next to the table.
I took this the night before the sew-it-all-together class. The 4 red circles, 4 black circles and 4 stars are all done with hand applique. I loved that part of it!
The points of the stars were very tricky but it helped me learn a technique that will be helpful for future projects.
And this is the top all sewn together. This is the most geometrically sound project I have ever put together. All of my measurements came out just right and all the points matched up perfectly. I did take out and re-sew about 4 places because I wanted it to be straight and now I don't have even one spot that I hope no-one notices. You can notice it all. And if you see something that isn't quite right, don't tell me. I don't need any more bursting bubbles this week.
Next comes the hand quilting. Most of the other women are taking it to a shop in Teton to have it machine quilted but I enjoy doing it by hand (and saving myself the $30 to go towards the next project). Thanks for the quilting stands and frames Kellie! It's wonderful to be able to set it up and take as long as I want without feeling the pressure to finish up fast so that I can return them to their owner. I am the owner now :)
8 comments:
It turned out pretty good.. I mean if you like that sort of thing... okay, okay, it's incredible! i am totally jealous and wish i had one for my very own. good job, you are very talented and i'm glad you went with your own colors. good for you.
it looks amazing! holy cow! as much as you don't like to do crafts in front of anyone I may want you to teach me. I don't know much about sewing, but I'm not against it...it's just one of those things I'm having a hard time teaching myself...mostly because of my lack of patience. i can't wait to see it hanging in your home! what a talent to possess!
I've been waiting for this blog. It's so beautiful. I like how you showed the picture before it was all sewn together. It helps me realize the time involved in each little piece. I'm so glad you've found something that you enjoy and good job on letting yourself be taught something new. Sometimes that's hard to do. It will be so fun to hang in your house and see the accomplishment often.
And about that whole being different bit. You're just doing what we've been taught to do all our lives. Dare to be different(safety kids).
And I'm so glad those quilting frames are getting some use. I think Brett's mother would love knowing her gift wasn't wasted on an ex-daughter-in-law(Leslie) who didn't appreciate it.
It turned out amazing and I love the colors.
Great job being your own person when everyone else was just following along. Maybe they all just felt too insecure to try what they really wanted and next time they will think about you and decide to be their own person too--or maybe they all really did think the colors were the best for their decor.
After talking about this with you several times I am glad to see the actual project. Its gorgeous!
And what a great moment; to be satisfied with your own project and realize that everyone else was afraid to do what you had done; be different.
Wow! Kimberly You are a woman of many talents!!! BEAUTIFUL JOB!:)
I LOVE IT!!!!! I'm glad to see someone is like me. I rather just do it myself and then show people. You put it so well. If people watch or know what I'm doing it never turns out and I'm stressed. I current blog proves it. As far as quilting, you and I are going to have to get together.
PS I know of someone how has a quilting machine that my mom and I use if you would like. No charge, she is family.
Good Job Kimber! You did an amazing job on this detailed and complex project. I hope that you continue to do something that you enjoy and love to make the time pass and get such great results too! I love the piece and hope that many more will follow! :)
Post a Comment