Friday, October 26, 2012

Summer Olympics 2012


The track races and swimming inspired Nathan and Hyrum to become mini-Olympians.

They did their long jump down the stairs.

Nathan would start the run at the end of the hallway by the bathroom and fly from the top of the stairs to land in the cushions.  Hyrum would start at the end of the hallway, run to the top of the stairs, stop, step down two steps and then jump.  He just barely made it too the cushions and I cringed every time. 


When I first saw this my protective mother instinct wanted to stop them but many of the Olympic commercials were in honor of the mothers who helped the Olympians reach their full potential so I had to let it be . . . just in case I have a future Olympian in the making.

Hyrum wanted to be a swimmer so I filled my six foot tub and let him at it.  He slid down the slippery back, splashing all the way to the faucet (I wouldn't let him "dive") and he spun around in the bubbles and he had me count to see how long he could hold his breath under the water.  When he tired out a bit we drained the tub just enough so that he could lay in the bubbles with only his eyes and nose out of the water (his request).  


The best part of this was that he insisted on doing it in his shorts just like the "real swimmer guys".  He was a little disappointed to not have a cap and goggles but I promised him that when he went to the real Olympics I would get him some.


The boys even came up with their own medal podium.  Using the couch cushions as a makeshift ladder they would climb on the stairway shelf and proudly give each other recognition.  I was so proud to hear their version of the national anthem.  


No comments: