May was so loaded with must-do's and have-to's to finish up the school year that the month seemed over before we recognized that it started. We had brief thoughts of celebrating Star Wars Day (May 4th), and Cinco de Mayo (May 5th), and Memorial Day (May 27th) but we were to worn out from running to field day, two orchestra concerts, Muffins with Mom, Donuts with Dad, three field trips, class projects, and finals. Among all that we did find time for some minor breaks in the hectic routine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vivien sent us a goodie box from Slovakia!
Traveling by truck, and plane, and whatever else it took to get it from there to here, our box looked a little beat up but all of it's contents were safe. Erika was thrilled with her European Skittles, which really do taste different than those in America, and the boys quickly divided out their favorites of Bon Pari, Sport, and oodles of European chocolate, which also tastes better than what we have here.
She had bundled up a bag of socks, dark chocolate bars, Fit bars and almond lip balm for a Mother's Day gift for me. I had a hard time deciding if I was more excited about the European socks or dark chocolates but I relished in the comfort of both. There are some things that Europe is just better for. Her mom also sent me hand towels with hearts on them with a note that said, "you have a big heart". I have never met Vivien's mom but I really like her. She helped my heart grow bigger by sharing, and continuing to share, Vivien with me. I hope to meet her someday.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May seemed to be particularly hard on Hyrum. He would occasionally lapse into baby talk, cry about going to preschool, refuse to eat, show attitude that could put the teens to shame, and naptimes were a definite must. Among all the emotional turmoil that can torture a five year old he did manage to keep his sense of humor.
He decided he wanted a pigtail one morning. Then, he wanted two and three and four. When he asked me to shave his head bald I decided that maybe we should hold off reading Stephanie's Ponytail for a while.
His comfort food for the month was smoothies. After a couple of weeks I realized that if he had a smoothie and some one-on-one time with me, his days would go much better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For our usual post-concert treat we went to Kiwi Loco with Derek, Justin, Sierra, Bret, Erika and Grandma Fullmer. We had some good laughs (especially watching Sierra's big smile turn into a Grumpy Cat frown), plenty of brain freezes and Grandma got to see some of the teen craziness that forms my everyday life.
Justin did a fabulous job cleaning up for us.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As the month came to a close we were finally having warmer weather. To celebrate finishing their junior year,
Derek and Sierra enjoyed a beautiful sunset on the roof.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After one of our many rain storms I was heading into town. As I was leaving the subdivision I noticed a rainbow. When I looked a little closer I felt an overwhelming love accompanied by the blue sky, green of spring, and fresh rain scent surrounding me.
The family that lives in that home really is the treasure at the end of my life's rainbow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The VERY BEST PART of May came on the 23rd. Vivien got her plane tickets!! We are so excited to have her here again, and for the summer this time. She will be here from June 25th to August 21st. Since her good news came on the last day of school we immediately transitioned from school thinking to summer thinking. When we had family home evening four days later we set the dates for our family trip (so everyone can get work schedules arranged) and, with her input, had our calendar full of all the other things we want to do while she is here.
This is going to be a GREAT summer!







No comments:
Post a Comment