*****************************
Knock, knock, knock on my bathroom door . . .
Me: "Who is it?"
Hyrum: "I'm your worst nightmare!"
Me: (laughing and glad I'm already emptying my bladder) "Who taught you that?"
Hyrum: "Cody Banks."
******************************
After a needed discussion on stranger danger and role playing a couple of scenarios . . .
Nathan: "Mom, are you forgetting something?"
(lengthy pause and raised eyebrows for emphasis) "I'm a green belt!"
******************************
Hryum: (enthusiastically) "I found one of those red ticket things and Nathan wanted it too but guess what!? We were going to fight over it but we membered to be good brothers and work together so we flushed it down the toilet! Are you so proud of us?"
******************************
While cuddling on the couch . . .
Hyrum: (with big eyes, urgency and shock in his voice) "Hold still! I want to count those things on your head"
After counting in a whisper with his pointy finger hovering over the lines (aka wrinkles) on my forehead . . .
"There's SIX! Is that a lot?"
******************************
Thoughtfully looking out the van window . . .
Nathan: "I suddenly feel like a really big boy. I am good at Tae Kwan Do. I get to start gymnastics for the summer and I'm pretty sure I'll be good at that too. I'm gonna be in second grade and take piano lessons. AND I'm wearing boxers! I'm so grown up!" (puffs out chest and sits tall in his seat with a big grin)
******************************
Hyrum: "Mom, you have such pretty nimples."
Me: (in complete surprise) "What?"
Hyrum: "Your nimples are pretty. Daddy says that too."
Me: (holding back laughter) "Show me on your body where your nimples are."
Hyrum: (pointing to his dimples) "They make your smile pretty."
I'm so glad he equates my laugh lines (again, wrinkles) with his adorable dimples.
******************************
I found a sticky note that I had written a couple of notes on. I cannot remember the dates that go with these but the boys were significantly younger. Since one comment is about potty training I believe Hyrum was about three years old.
Hyrum had an imaginary friend that he named Eric. One morning he wanted me to get something from his room for him and when I asked him why he couldn't get it he responded, "Eric won't let me go in my room". For a while we had to set a place at the table for Eric and make a bed on the floor for Eric to sleep on.
*********
Nathan and Hyrum had been sword fighting and then paused to have fruit snacks. Nathan kept complaining that Hyrum wouldn't die when he had been attacked to which I replied, "He doesn't want to die right now, he's eating his fruit snacks". I was on the phone with Kara at the time and didn't realize how funny that sounded until she started laughing.
*********
Potty training Hyrum was rather easy but once he got the hang of it I backed off thinking he had it down and then he started to have accidents because he would wait to long before going. On one of those times when he ran in the house panicking and holding himself in a full run for the bathroom I joined him in the race with what I thought was encouragement. It must not have sounded that way to him because he hollered at me, "Why do you always do this to me? Just calm down."
*********
I do not remember what we were having for dinner on this particular night but Hyrum was getting very impatient as we waited for everyone to sit at the table so that we could have the blessing on the food. LeRoy asked Nathan to say the blessing and Nathan is known for his long, thoughtful prayers.
Hyrum groaned and whined, "say a SHORT prayer cause this food is so hicious (delicious)."
No comments:
Post a Comment