Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Liberty 5K in Rexburg

On July 3rd I ran a race. The first race in 21 years. Actually, until February of this year I hadn't run more than an occasional pathetic jog to remind me that I'm not a runner. Well, this weekend I was a runner! My half hearted preparation paid much more than it should have and I found myself enjoying the race. It seemed to be over so quickly and I wanted it to go longer. And now I'm looking forward to the next race . . . an even longer one.

In the top picture there is just under a mile left. I ran most of it with my jacket on because it was sooooo cold! When I started, my fingers were numb and there were goosebumps on my legs. During the last mile I took my jacket off and the wind felt good as I covered that last stretch to the finish line (bottom pic).


Kara was here from Utah so she and Erika and Erika's friend Bri came to cheer me on and take pictures. The power of someone cheering for you is wonderful! Each time I heard a "go mom" from the crowd, no matter who it came from, I took it.


My friend Mary also ran this race and she was such an inspiration for me. A month ago she had surgery, did not have a very easy recovery, and there she was ready to run (and she beat her previous best time). When I started to wimp out mentally I thought of her and kept going. Great job and thanks Mary!

5K = 3.1 miles = 32.23 sec

5 comments:

MOM said...

Awesome job Kimber Jo.

Cami Sue said...

You did it! That's awesome. I'm so proud of you. The idea of running that long makes me tired just thinking about it. I've always wanted to run a marathon but hadn't thought about running a shorter race and work my way up. Way to go!

Kate said...

You look great Kimber Jo. Someday I hope to join you on one of your races...but for now maybe I can just cheer you on for your August run. :D

Goodrich said...

Kimberly-

Congrats on running that 5k. You amaze me- I can't believe how much your family has grown. Miss you guys!

~*Autumn*~ said...

Congratulations Kimber! You look AMAZING by the way! I haven't ran since I was in High School cross country so I am in awe that you are doing this and so happy that you get so much out of it. Love ya!