Saturday, October 31, 2009

During Relief Society last week they handed around a basket full of kits to make plastic canvas blocks for humanitarian aid. I took 2 of them, thinking that it was within my scope of crazy projects and time schedule to fit it in (actually Kara took one and I took one and although I didn't think we would get them done while Kara was here, I knew they would still get done).

Monday came and went rather quickly and soon it was time for family home evening and I was unprepared. I needed a quick idea. I had just read the teachings of King Benjamin in Mosiah and service was on my brain. Couple that with the 2 kits sitting on my dresser and a family home evening lesson just seemed to present itself.

Now I just needed to convince all the boys that sewing was a great way to serve.

After going from Derek to Justin to LeRoy to Justin to LeRoy to Derek giving instructions, I had a moment to stand back and watch as they used their new found skill in simple service to others. It was an obvious camera moment watching them fumble with the needles in giving determination.

We each finished one or two squares that night and after school the next day Justin and Derek finished the rest on their own. Oh, the things these boys will volunteer to do just to get out of practicing their music! Within a couple of calm hours we had sewn together our 12 squares to create 2 colorful blocks.

1 comment:

~*Autumn*~ said...

That's awesome and they look fabulous! :)