Our Fullmer Reunion is pretty much the same every year. Always the first weekend in August, always in Menan at the homestead, always plenty of cousins, aunts and uncles to see, Uncle Dean always has the fish pond stocked, for the last 10ish years LeRoy has always been the auctioneer and most importantly, the boys always have an adventurous time. But this year was not the same for us. We had Vivien and Sierra with us. It was fun (and at times embarrassing) to share our crazy extended family with them.
The name tag makes it official. She is family!
Since "rock climbing" was on our summer list of things to do this pile of rocks seemed to be calling out, "climb here". So they did.
Vivien even went out of her OCD comfort zone and got her hands dirty....without freaking out!
Taking the paddle boat out on the fish pond is always fun for the kids.
Once in a while they get brave enough to jump in the pond to let the trout nibble at them but this year they decided to stay dry and simply enjoy the ride without the pond scum.
As President(s) of the reunion this year we (meaning LeRoy) got to do all the talking for the family meeting. He led the nominations and voting for the presidents for the next year, requested a count of and names of those serving missions, and did the usual call out for donations to the newsletter and reunion fund which runs seperate from the family mission fund.
I sat there so nervous that I was about ready to run for the nearest bush to either pee or puke. I hate (yes, that is a bad word at our house) being in front of so many people, even though they are all family. When we are nominated as president it has never been "Kimberly" that is nominated, it is always "LeRoy" (and yes, it is my side of the family having this reunion). LeRoy does the talking, I do the behind the scene stuff. So, the little plan I had formulated over the last few hours had me in a ball of nerves. Vivien was kind of laughing at me because she knew what I was planning and thought it was funny that I'd be so nervous with relatives.
Once LeRoy finished the family business, and before he could get started on the auction, I went up to the front, took the microphone, and explained that every year the reunion falls withing a couple of days of LeRoy's birthday and usually his birthday is forgotten. To him, the reunion is his yearly birthday party but no one else knows that. So, I explained that they were all at his party, that his birthday was actually today, and invited them all to sing Happy Birthday. Of course, they all enthusiastically joined in and LeRoy stood there crying as we all sang to him. He thrives being in the spotlight and he definitely was as he stood there with so many people that he admires loving on him. He doesn't need me to buy him a gift or take him to a fancy restaurant. Having me stand there with him to tell him Happy Birthday, with everyone watching and with me about to wet my pants, was all the gift he needed.
The auction for the mission fund was a success as always, just really long this year. I had already been to on the ward Trek from Monday through Thursday, spent Friday catching up with the little boys and making the house ready for company coming that night, been to stake baptisms Saturday morning with Nathan and Vivien, helped set up the reunion luncheon, stood in front of everyone ready to pass out and still needed to put together sharing time for the next morning so I left the auction early taking Vivien and the little boys with me.
Hyrum was happy with the weapons that nature provided.
Nathan was happy with the little baby tree he found when nature was calling.
I was happy to be done with the presidential responsibilities for the year and so very grateful that LeRoy thrives in that area and can take over when I give up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment