As our home was being built we knew that it would be in the Parade of Homes. We explained this to the kids and realized that we all had kind of a strange feeling about it knowing that so many people would walk through our home, without us there, looking at all of our belongings. Around that same time we went to the Rexburg Temple open house and dedication and we decided that we would have our own dedication after our open house.Though the home show was almost a month ago we waited until we found a picture of the Rexburg Temple that we liked so that we could hang it as part of our dedication. We talked about the things that we would like our home to provide. We had 3 main thoughts as part of our dedication:
1 - A scripture from the Kirtland Temple dedication found in D&C 109:22-23 "and we ask thee, Holy Father, that thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power, and that thy name may be upon them, and thy glory be round about them, and thine angels have charge over them; and from this place they may bear exceedingly great and glorious tiding"
We hope the same blessings will come to us in our own home.
2 - A quote from President Hinckley: "Parents, safeguard your families. Bring up your children in light and truth as the Lord has commanded. Shower them with love, but do not spoil them. Share your testimony with them. Read the scriptures together. Guide and protect them. Pray together. There is no substitute for family prayer when all kneel together before the Lord" (Ensign,May 1999)
Good counsel for our whole family to understand what our focus should be.
3 - From the Melchizedek Priesthood Handbook: A member may dedicate his home as a sanctuary where his family can worship, find safety from the world, grow spiritually, and prepare for eternal family relationships.
We hung our temple picture in the main entryway which is the heart of the house. To get to and from the living room, downstairs, office, front door and upstairs bedroom you have to cross this area. We hope that with our picture hung there it will hopefully be a reminder of our home dedication and the things that we discussed.

5 comments:
Your home is finally your own! It looks great to see pictures on the wall. And what great thoughts to live by.
Wow, that is really awesome. I think your family is so great. I miss you guys so much. Thank goodness for blogs!!
I love the picture. What a beautiful temple...I hope I can visit it the next time I am in Rexburg.
I hope that our family can be all
of those things too.
You are my hero. Everything you do for your family is something that I hope I will do with mine. You do such a good job with the spiritual side of your home and family, something I really need to work on.
The picture looks beautiful there and I think it's neat that you have time invested in your temple because of the dedication and all that you were involving with.
Post a Comment