Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Left Foot, Left Foot, Right Foot, Right

I have been having trouble with my right foot since about January. During the last few weeks my left foot has been hurting also and the pain has gotten to the point that I am limping. I finally set a Dr. appointment with a Podiatrist to get it checked out.

What I was told is that some time (probably around 6 months ago when the pain started) I somehow fractured my sesamoid bone (knotty looking bone at the ball of the big toe) on my right foot. Since I never took measures to let it heal, the bone has since separated into 2 bones and that is fine, livable. However, because of the pain of that and me just ignoring it and blaming the pain on pregnancy, I now have a fractured metatarsal which is causing the majority of my pain (and the limp) now.

My options were to cast it or to buy new stiff gym shoes and wear an insert with them. I opted for the shoes. I need new shoes anyway and I don't like the idea of not being able to take the cast off at night. Wearing shoes all day long is a struggle for me. I spend 90% of my day barefoot!

The Dr. didn't want to give me an anti-inflammatory because I am nursing so he gave me some cream to apply directly to the foot which should help a little. He did say that the anti-inflammatory would help the healing process so I called Rilda and got some herbal stuff that should do just as well without affecting Hyrum.

So after wearing shoes all day my foot does feel better but I had to keep taking them off. It's too hot. I feel like my feet are suffocating! At least it's not a cast and hopefully it will all feel better soon (hopefully sooner than the 6 weeks he is telling me). I go in again in 2 weeks to see if it is improving with the shoes. If not, he still wants to cast it. Ok, Ok - I'll wear the shoes!

Oh, and BTW, after thinking back to what may have caused this in the first place . . . it was probably from trying to kick a block of ice off of the porch in January. The ice didn't budge but my toe and foot hurt for weeks. Then every time I kicked the slush and ice off of the tires on the Yukon I probably injured it more because I would have throbbing pain every time I did it. It was just habit!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I'm sorry Kimber, that sounds aweful. I don't know how you are doing the shoe thing. I can barely manage to put flip flops on during the summer.

Good Luck!