At 5am yesterday morning I took Levi and Erika to the church to leave for a 3 day trek through Martin's Cove and Independence Rock. They get a full experience of pioneer clothes, the 17 lb limit of stuff to take, pulling/pushing the handcart, very hot days/cold nights, and walking, walking, walking. They might not look to happy about it in the picture, but it was taken at 5am.We had a fireside Sunday night for final details and I am so excited for them, also a little jealous because I was initially invited to go but when the stake leaders asked me they didn't know I was pregnant with Hyrum. I love the stories of the handcart companies and the faith that the people had. Each person going on the trek walks in memory of a pioneer, either someone who actually was in the handcart companies or a pioneer ancestor and they do research to know a little about the person they are walking for. Since I can't get them out of my head I'm going to leave a little info on who Erika and Levi are walking for. So if you don't want the pioneer stories, stop here.
Levi is walking in memory of his 5th great grandfather (and mine as well) John Solomon Fullmer. John S. was good friends with Hyrum and Joseph Smith. He received his patriarchal blessing from Hyrum and was with both of them at Carthage Jail the night before the martyrdom. Family history shows that John S. sang "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" during that last night with the prophet. Joseph Smith sent John S. on an errand the morning of the martyrdom but John S. left his gun with Joseph and Hyrum. That gun is the one that Hyrum used to defend himself during the mob attack that day. Later during the exodus of the saints to Utah, John S. was called by Brigham Young to stay behind to close the affairs of the church and the selling of the saints properties before joining them in Utah. Brigham Young said of John S. that he was called to this position as "bulldog and growl", a description that could fit many Fullmers in his posterity. After a release of this position by Brigham Young, John S. and his wife Mary Ann and their children left in early spring 1848 to go to Utah and arrived there in October 1848. They eventually settled in Springville, UT and both taught school in Springville and Provo. Levi has loved hearing the stories of John Solomon since he was quite young and had no trouble deciding who to walk in memory of for this trek. As a special note, he is wearing a dog tag that John (my 21 year old brother) gave to him before leaving for Iraq last month. John is named after John S. and the dog tag reads John Solomon Fullmer. Since most of you reading are family, here is a great site to read more about John S. I also enjoy learning about Mary Ann, his wife, and the story of their courtship and marriage is a fun one. This can all be found at the website.
Erika is walking in memory of 12 year old Elizabeth Cunningham who was in the Willie Company and walked the entire distance from Winter's Quarterts to Utah. Elizabeth and her family joined the LDS Church in Scotland and, in 1856, sailed from Liverpool, England to America on the Thornton. Elizabeth began the climb to Rocky Ridge in a blizzard with 18 inches of snow on the ground. She later related that she collapsed before reaching camp and her family thought she had died. Because of the lateness of the hour my family was so exhausted that they wrapped me up in a blanket and left me by the side ofthe road. My mother decided to come back for my body. As I was brought in to camp some hot water happened to spill on one of my feet. Because the water was so hot against my cold foot, a quiver was seen in that limb. It was assumed that I was still alive so they worked on me until I was revived. The entire family (dad, mom, 2 sisters and 1 brother) were all members of the Willie company and the entire family made it to Utah. . Despite the many tragedies she suffered, she was always young in spirit and optimistic and she had a great sense of humor. She also had a reputation of being very thrifty. Her favorite saying was, “Don’t forget your pocket book is your best friend.” After reaching Utah she married at age 15 and became the mother of thirteen children, including a set of premature twins.
3 comments:
That sounds so cool! I wish I could have done something like that as a youth. Heck, I wish I could do something like that now.
I think Erika's pioneer is very fitting to what I think she would be like in the same situation -"young in spirit, optimistic and a great sense of humor", although lets hope she doesn't get married at 15 and start re-populating the earth. :)
I remember so well going on the pioneer trek that we did up past Tetonia. What a great spiritual experience. I wish each of my children and grandchildren could have this experience. Maybe we ought to think about it for a family reunion.
I just bawled over this experience for them. I love the stories and all the history. They went through so much. Was the experience what you wanted it to be for Erika and Levi? Did they enjoy it?
Post a Comment