Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Bunch of (Coco)Nuts

Justin was "helping" me do the grocery shopping last Saturday. Without looking at what it was, I was just saying "no" to everything he wanted to put in the cart knowing that it would all end up in my mouth and eventually on my hips. Then I heard, "but mom, isn't it healthy?". I honestly don't even know if coconut is healthy but I'm not a big fan of it. So to satisfy Justin's shopping desire to buy something, and still managing to not punish my waistline, we bought a coconut.

We had to watch a video online to figure out how to get the nut open:


Justin poking the holes to drain the coconut water




Derek draining the coconut




The crying coconut




Trying the internet directions to "tap" the nut in half




The Edwards' version of "tapping"



Let's Eat!

The kids were hoping more for the flavor of the bagged, flaked, sugared coconut from the store, which they did not get. Still, it was a fun Sunday activity and we had a good laugh over the amount of boy power it took to get the wimpy (because it was crying) coconut opened.

5 comments:

JT42 said...

in their church clothes even!! they were sure excited...did they like the coconut juice?? i think that part is best

Silvia said...

LOL!
You have to try a coconut in the beach in CR... baby coconut are the best!

Kate said...

I had no idea that is how you eat a coconut. In fact...I don't know where to even buy coconut. How nice of you to let him try it out just because.

The picture of Justin with the knife made me really nervous - I'm glad they moved on to the hammer.

KJBBBG said...

It's fun to see their excitement over something new and what a great hands on learning experience. Like going to the zoo rather than look at pictures. They'll never forget it.

And like you said it didn't hurt your waistline so it was perfect for everyone. Now they won't ask again.

~*Autumn*~ said...

hahaha! I love that you walk through the store saying no to everything without looking at it... I need to try that... :)

I'm so glad to know that your family had so much fun with the coconut. I wonder if they continued to eat the coconut even after tasting it and being disappointed with the non-sugar taste.... hummm..