~~~~~~~~
Hyrum loves black beans! In one night he ate almost half of a can (15 oz can!) of black beans. I tried to stop giving them to him but he would throw his head back, stick out his lip and squeal at me. His excitement over more beans being put on his tray and the adorable way he picked them up with his chubby little fingers were just to irresistible. Only 2 hours later he drank almost a full cup of blended peaches from his sippy cup and then headed off to bed. I will not even attempt to describe the aftershock that his little bowels went through during the next day. From now on I will put a limit on black beans and peaches!
I had my back to Nathan while he was eating lunch and I was cooking at the stove. When I turned around he was literally hanging from the chandelier above the table. His feet were even tucked up under him. That darn Curious George!
~~~~~~~~
I have wanted to make Massaman Curry for my family since, oh, December. I finally found the courage to stick yet another new meal in front of my family, preparing myself for the awkward silence while everyone avoids the topic of taste. To protect my over emotional feelings I once again put the comment bag on the counter. I at least wanted to enjoy the meal whether anyone else did or not. After quite a few sniffs as it was cooking and a careful eyeing of the new dish on the table, the eating began. And it is a winner! I was shocked when Derek, who is my pickiest eater, remarked with emphasis, "this is sooo good! I love it". Majority rules (sorry LeRoy and Justin), I'll be making it again.
~~~~~~~~
Daily conversation with Nathan:
Me: What should we make for dinner?
I tried a new chicken stir fry recipe which turned out great. Everyone else at the table was doting praise on the cook, which I happen to really love, except for Levi. When I asked him what he thought of the new meal he simply grunted, twice. After he had his third serving I figured out that a 2 grunt reply must mean it is really good. Since I get it in response to such a variety of questions, I'm still trying to decipher the 1 grunt reply.
~~~~~~~~
While eating lunch during our Easter Saturday family get-a-way, Erika shook some pepper into Levi's Dr. Pepper when he wasn't looking. Because he also has a tendency to pull pranks on her, we kept our mouths shut. Just as he was ready to drink it, her guilty conscience got the better of her (as well as her giggles) and she confessed. Then it turned from prank to dare and yes, Levi drank some Dr. Pepper that was doctored up with pepper. At first he just shrugged and began to say "that's not so . . . aghhhh!", then gagging with tears forming in his eyes. Then we became the spectacle of entertainment for the lunch crew as each of my children, as well as my husband, each tried to drink it without giving the same puckered expression. Since I was smart enough not to try it I can only tell you that at first it has a spicy hint to it that is almost good and then after the drink goes down your tongue is left with a nasty coating of, to their description, burning puke. It was hard for me not to be embarrassed at the gagging nonsense going on while others in the restaurant were trying to eat, but I also enjoyed watching the laughter and bonding going on in our family as we make this memory that will last forever.
~~~~~~~~
I love having children that can cook. It is great when they answer my evening question, "what should I make for dinner" with a proposal of their own volunteered baking skills taking over for the evening. They do a terrific job presenting enchiladas, grilled sandwiches, spaghetti, taco salad and of course raman noodles. I do find sweet joy in my children, literally. It comes in the form of brownies, carmel popcorn, no-bake cookies and peanut butter chex mix. . . all of which I love. All of which I should not eat.
~~~~~~~~
Ever since Nathan's birthday fruit pizza, Hyrum has been downing the kiwi. He makes the most adorable pucker face while eating it which is followed the next day with a bit of a painful puckered face as I pick off the little kiwi seeds that stick to his little behind.
~~~~~~~~
Bonus
(which has nothing to do with food but I happened to think of while typing)
Hyrum is learning to stand by himself. He occasionally stands with his back to the couch and without realizing it he is standing. The part that we all laugh at so hard (and probably shouldn't) is when he lunges forward doing a face plant on the carpet. You can almost see him thinking that his feet are going to move and he will walk but he hasn't quite made the connection from his brain to his feet. He tried it once in his bed and ended up with a red mark on his head after smacking into the bar across from him. I was kind enough not to laugh that time.
4 comments:
How fun to hear about how the family revolves around food. I'm glad you get help with the cooking sometimes. It sure takes the strain off. Sounds like this next week for you could be a kids-cook-dinner week.
So what green soup is Nathan talking about? Or did he come up with that on his own?
Ahh. The next stage with the young one. It's so cute seeing them take those first steps, not so much the falling because they still aren't very stable once they start running on unsteady legs.
I would love a new recipe. Send it on Massaman Curry. Or is it on your food blog??
Talk to you tomorrow!
I really enjoyed this post with many random food/family thoughts. It is amazing how much of our lives revolve around food.
(By the way...I got the snickers shake, it was a really bad idea. Learn from my mistake. :)
I love your family stories... especially the Dr. Pepper prank that turned into family bonding at a restaurant.:) You have an amazing family and it was raised that way because of an amazing couple. Thanks for sharing and I love the advice about Kiwis and Black Beans and the fact that you can make dinner every night, but still have someone that doesn't like something in it. ;)
Post a Comment