Saturday, May 16, 2009

Levi and Caytlyn at Prom



Just Kidding!
This is at the ballroom dance recital the night before Prom. Caytlyn was in the last dance of the night, an 80's medley (which I totally had a hard time not singing and dancing to) so she was still in costume for the picture.

A better Prommy picture:




Once I gave up my expectations of what a Prom dinner should be I had a fun time preparing and presenting their dinner. It was a bit hard not to go all out with my own menu and decorating but to do what the boys had asked for (which seemed a little Idaho picnic to me, but again: not my prom). I tried to use their menu and fulfill their expectations with a flair of my own expectation without taking over their night. I couldn't help but use the dishes that I had borrowed, or fancying up the dessert that one of the other mothers brought over on a paper plate. I even swallowed my salad snob pride when another mother brought over a bagged salad and a bottle of ranch dressing as I put it in the fancy serving dish without a grumble (of course that could have been lack of snob due to the migraine that was soon to take over the evening).



The kids got back from playing at the ice caves and sand dunes in time to wash up (and shake of the sand) for dinner. Notice the picture of all of them hiding their faces? They are actually in their "cubbies". Anytime someone does something that Caytlyn is embarrassed about she goes into her cubby, a bit of silly which the rest of us have picked up and copied. To show their embarrassment for being a bit under dressed for dinner, they took a picture of all of them in their cubbies.



The rest of us left the house so that they could have a private dinner and because there was no way my migraine was going to let me make dinner for anyone else so we had to go out to eat (I actually slept in the Yukon while everyone else ate at Wendy's). I admit I was pouting a little because I had wanted to see all the kids in their formal clothes but I let go of that expectation and sent the camera with Caytlyn (not Levi) with pleading instructions to take pictures for me to look at later. Caytlyn's mom caught on to that pretty fast and gave them strict instructions to come back to our house so that I could see them all and take some of my own pictures. (Thank you, Barbara!) I mustered up the energy to enthusiastically Oooh and Aahh over their dresses, hair and flowers (oh and the boys a little too) ignoring the pounding, echoing, stabbing pain in my head just long enough to get some pictures and show my sincere appreciation for them coming back to the house. They all really did look fabulous!



The prince and princess rode off into the sunset in their carriage (ok, it was a yukon) to dance and laugh the night (and a bit of the morning) away while I crashed in bed with a very unhealthy dose of drugs in my stomach.

~~~~~~~~~~
No need to feel sorry for me and my migraine. It was totally brought on by me. I had been fighting that headache for two days when I went to an IHOP breakfast with some friends and I gave in to the overwhelming craving for a Belgian waffle and butter pecan syrup. The friend time was exactly what I needed to boost me into the hectic week to come but the physical aftershock from the food was not really worth one bite of that waffle. Don't know why I can't learn that lesson already!

5 comments:

Kate said...

The dinner looks great (way to make it look all fancy!), the dresses are so pretty, and Caytlyn's hair is AWESOME! She is really a beautiful girl. Way to go Levi! (Oh and he looks handsome too)I'm glad you figured out how to do collages so we could see so many pics!

Sorry for the migraine. Get Well Soon!!!!

Silvia said...

CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!!!

Cami Sue said...

It looks like they had fun. I'm totally impressed with the girls wearing modest dresses. She is so pretty by the way - way to go handsome stud!

Did they have anything other than fruit, salad and dessert?

(I can't believe he's old enough to go to prom!)

KJBBBG said...

What a cutie. I can see why you would have been so frustrated not getting to see them all dressed up. Her dress is amazing. I love it.

So sorry for the stupid headache. I'm going to quote a movie line here, "Why do we fall, Bruce? So we can pick ourselves back up."
You blame yourself but now you have a new resolve to not eat the evil food that does it to you for a good long while. Just bad timing.

~*Autumn*~ said...

You did fabulous with the dinner looking great and getting those pictures taken while oohing and awwing while feeling like all you want to do is curl up in a ball!

I need to take a knack from you and stop indulging. Maybe then I won't feel tired all the time!