Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chef Nathan


One day last week I realized that my house was unusually quiet for having a 2 years old still awake. I had been holed up in the office for hours, just doing the minimum mothering necessary, when I went to check on Nathan and found him sitting on the kitchen island. "I'm making yooz lunch", he stated with independence.

He had taken a package of raman, put it in a pan and placed it on the stove (which thankfully, he doesn't know how to turn on), and was in the process of cutting a zucchini that he had managed to get out of the refrigerator. He had a small but sharp knife and would push down through the flesh of the zucchini until a chunk of it would pop off the counter, prompting giggles from the little chef.

The outcome was quite simple. We made raman for lunch with yogurt as a side dish, because yogurt is the obvious companion to raman, at least to Nathan. Oh, and he refused to share the remainder of the "baby zucchini", scolding me for wanting anything but the chunky green mess that was scattered on the floor.

Watching him munch down on his lunch reminded me of a picture we took when he stole his first zucchini out of our garden at the spunky age of 17 months. He's always had a sweet tooth for veggies!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is dang cute! My kids have serious reservations when it comes to veggies.. I'm hoping a garden will help.

mimi said...

That is the coolest:).....a little boy who loves his veggies! WOW!!!!:)

JT42 said...

that is awesome! love it! my kids made me lunch recently, but it was macaroni (a little harder to stomach since I have a MAJOR adversion,) but I couldn't not eat the materpiece and carrots :) kids are great!
how's he feeling today?

Kate said...

I wish Korben would eat veggies! or fruits, or meat, or anything really...but bologne and cheese is about as brave as he gets.

Nathan is such a cutie!

KJBBBG said...

What a thoughtful kid. And smart too, the way he is hooked on veggies. Smart momma too for passing that great gift on to him. :)