Thursday, January 17, 2008

7 Random Things

I have enjoyed Kara, Kate and Kellie's '7 Random Things' so much that I am daring to do my own. It took some real thought, as I assumed I was a very boring person. So this is the most interesting stuff I could muster up about myself.

1. I am the oldest of 11 kids. This could be a blessing or a curse. The curse: I was the first to drive and date so I was the experiment for Mom and Dad. Believe me, that created some hard times. Of course now I am using Levi for similar experiments. The blessing: I always had a buddy, enough people to play a game, and someone to blame things on. I was also the first to leave home which I think would be so much easier than Jared's position as #11 watching 10 siblings leave home and being home alone for 2 years before graduation.

2. I was there when my youngest brother was born. Not only was I at the hospital when Jared was born but I drove mom to the hospital in a terrible snow storm. Dad was at class and we couldn't get ahold of him (and he wouldn't have had time to come and get Mom) so when we finally got word to him he met us at the hospital. It was a very touching experience for me - completely opposite of what I had seen on TV.

3. I love to mow lawn and shovel snow. I love to mow the lawn and have a job that can't be messed up in an hour. I also love the smell of fresh cut grass and to see the grass look like a shiny new carpet. Shoveling snow isn't quite as rewarding (because it's cold) but I love having a big snowstorm and trying to keep up with mother nature. I find some weird satisfaction in being able to see my driveway all winter long. This winter is driving me nuts because I can't shovel at all and no one else in the family cares what the driveway looks like.

4. I am shy. Ok - to all of my family that might not seem true but really I don't like being in public. If I have stayed indoors for a few days it really takes gumption to get me to go out. I get nervous driving over to the store because I will have to talk to the clerk, or I might see someone I know. I get anxious about ward/school activities because it is an unknown who I will talk to or sit by. My response to this anxiety is to talk really fast (babbling nonsense) or I don't say anything and have been told that I seem snobby. I have been this way since I was young and I think the hardest time for me was during college. I also hate to make phone calls, even to people that I know. Being married to LeRoy has pulled me out of this a little but I still would rather be a fly on the wall.

5. I have had a baby at home. It is also the plan to have this baby at home. I have been accused by a nurse of being an unfit mother for that, had looks of disgust sent my way and also had great support and even looks of awe. Yes, I had medical attention throughout the pregnancy and a midwife who had been delivering babies for 28 years. It was one of the most beautiful, spiritual experiences of my life. I have never felt closer to heaven, or to my newborn baby, than during that delivery. I could go on and on . . . but that is another post!

6. I received a 'blond waiver' from the IRS. OK . . . so there really isn't a waiver called the 'blond waiver' from the IRS but that is what the agent and I jokingly called it. We were being penalized because I was supposed to start filing taxes monthly for our business instead of quarterly because of the previous quarters income. I have not had formal schooling to do all of this business stuff (payroll, taxes, invoicing, reports, etc) but I have had training from our CPA, I read alot and learn alot from Kara who is in a similar profession. Once I explained this to the agent she was very understanding, explained things in a way that I could understand them (all those tax instructions just confuse me) and waived the penalty. Whew!

7. I am a salad snob. I could say that I'm just picky about my salads but really, I'm a salad snob. I don't like iceberg lettuce at all, I prefer a fresh spring mix, red romaine and spinach. I really lose my appetite over greens that are laced with brown edges and I don't like the sour centers of the leaves. The toppings I'm not so picky about - though I prefer them fresh. Some of my favorite salad toppings are fruit, veggies, nuts and chicken and I like quite a variety of dressings like poppyseed, honey mustard, ginger mandarin, and raspberry vinaigrette.

Now I'm hungry for a salad! Unfortunately, vegetables have been tasting like dirt lately (a minor inconvenience due to this pregnancy) and I'm just to lazy to make one right now.

2 comments:

Kara said...

I loved your list! You are a very interesting person and even though I know all the stuff, it is still cool to read a compiled list.

Kate said...

I love the list-especially the blond waiver. :) I like knowing that I'm not the only blond one in this family (although your moment was much more justified than any of mine are). As far as the salad thing goes, ever since you were here and ordered romaine only, I have done the same and I have to say it is much better. Last night we found a new restaurant on the river that has the best salad with jicama, peanuts, chicken and a vinagarette dressing-it was awesome. So next time you visit...