Monday, January 7, 2008

The Glad Game

Last night was a terrible one! I couldn't sleep for more than about an hour at a time because my legs were twitching so bad and this baby seems to be doing sommersaults (I was told after church that several women were watching my stomach and laughing as I stood at the back of the room during sunday school. They could see my belly moving through the windows of the door as they were out in the hall.) So this morning I decided that instead of being grumpy about my lack of sleep I was going to play the Glad Game. Here's what I found:

* I'm glad that even though I missed water aerobics I was able to sleep from about 5:30 to 8:15 when the kids came and got me to take them to school. LeRoy had shut the door, read scriptures with the kids and told them to be quiet so that Nathan would sleep longer also. They even had the Yukon warmed up for me to take them.

* I'm glad that Levi is flexible enough to laugh and tease about a situation instead of complaining. I made french toast last night so that everyone would still have breakfast this morning while I was at water aerobics (or still in bed). I forgot to make more syrup though and Levi really does not like store syrup. This was his comment as I took him to school: "Thanks for the ride and breakfast mom, even though the syrup was thicker than 10 thick things and I had to chew it just to get it to go down." He always has a way of making me laugh.

* I'm so glad it was Derek's week to do dishes. He is the BEST! He doesn't complain, doesn't take an hour to do the job (like Justin and Erika) and he is good to really clean it - countertops, table, highchair, stove and many times he even dries the handwashed dishes and puts them away. It was great to wake up to a clean kitchen this morning - for some reason that really does make the day brighter.

* I'm glad Nathan loves books. As 11:00 rolled around and my body was telling me I should take a nap, Nathan wasn't ready since he had slept until 9:30. So I flopped down on the couch (looking more like a beached whale than a mommy in my grey sweatsuit with my big belly sticking in the air) and as I layed there Nathan kept bringing me book after book but didn't even require me to read them. He flipped the pages and 'read' to me instead.

* I'm glad that my part time job can be done in my jammies with no bra on. Good thing the guys don't see what I'm wearing (or not wearing) when I do payroll!

* I'm glad I have 4 sisters that can brighten my day. Talking to any one of them - or mom - seems to make it all better. Thanks for talking today Kellie and Kara!

* I'm glad Justin really can be quiet if it is completely necessary. For a kid who can't stop talking, and only does it on high volume, I was glad that he could recognize that Nathan and I were asleep when he got home from school and just did his homework and read until I woke up. Though I felt a little guilty for being asleep when he got home I was so grateful that he could take care of me when I really needed it.

* I'm glad my kids are old enough to do put together a quick FHE.

* I'm glad it is bedtime again . . . I think I am so exhausted (I actually did clean the storage room - which was in desperate need of it, did laundry - which required trips up and down the stairs, worked in the office for a bit and made dinner) that my body should sleep no matter what. At least that is what I am hoping.

4 comments:

KJBBBG said...

I cried again. I don't know if it is that Celine Dion song that I had never heard before but now love, or your positive thinking which is so good to hear knowing it can be a layer down before we realize them. Thanks for reminding me there are always good things too.

Cami Sue said...

Good job on finding good things in your life. I was just thinking about what to write on my blog and was trying to think of the positive things in my life. I think I need to write a "glad game" list.

Kara said...

I'm so proud of you for being able to be positive. Especially after experiencing the same kind of night myself. I think I will copy you and look for the good things about this day instead of writing the very negative post I had in mind. Thanks for talking to me!

Goodrich said...

You are so positive. I get home from work and want to sit on the couch and do absolutely nothing. I also look at my kids and think they deserve more than that and start to complain. Thanks for the idea. Good night