Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Recipes

I didn't realize that it was proper blog etiquette to give recipes if I was going to drool about the food we'd had for the week. So to tempt your tastebuds further, and honor a few requests, here are a couple of recipes. It took me a while to put it together because I wanted pictures so I just made the same things again. There have been no complaints from my family!

Breadstick Pizza Pockets
(For those with the Fullmer Family Cookbook, this is mom's breadstick, pizza dough recipe)
Dough:
1 TBSP yeast
1 1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
let is rise for a few minutes

Add:
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 TBSP sugar

Mix and knead for about 3 minutes. You don't want it stiff but you might need to add a little more flour so that you can handle it. Let rest for 10-15 minutes. Divide into 10 balls. Roll out each ball to a rectangle (these will be very thin). Add toppings, fold over top and seal edges. Place on a buttered baking sheet, brush with egg mixture (1 beaten egg mixed with 1 tsp water), let rise 10-15 minutes. Bake 350 for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top.

Toppings: (just use your favorite pizza toppings)

Pizza sauce -homemade or canned - when you spoon this onto the dough leave the edges free of sauce, this will make it easier to seal edges. You don't have to have these perfectly shaped, by the time they rise a little and bake they look great.

Italian sausage
Pepperoni
Canadian Bacon
Pineapples
Peppers & Onions
Mushrooms
Olives
Cheese



The 2nd time that I made these I just mixed all of my toppings together rather than applying 1 topping at a time. It saved a little time in the end and because it is folded over no-one sees how carefully (or not) you applied the toppings.


Chunky Cheesy Broccoli Soup

The soup that I made I actually got from Kara and she got it from Magirk - just to give a little recipe geneology. You can view the recipe on Magirk's recipe site. She also has some other great recipes there that you can check out.




Homemade Bread

I make this bread with a little whole wheat flour and ground flax but you can just use white flour in place of the WW and flax.


In a large mixing bowl combine:
1 1/2 TBSP yeast
1 TBSP sugar
1/2 cup warm water
Let rise for a few minutes

In a microwave dish heat for 1 minute:
1 cup water
1/2 cup milk
2 TBSP butter/margarine
Pour into yeast mixture and add:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup ground flax
2 TBSP sugar
2 tsp salt
Mix well and then add:

3 cups flour (and a little more if needed to make dough manageable but not stiff)

Knead just until mixed well, not too long or it will be a stiff bread. Let rise 15-20 minutes, punch down and shape into 2 loaves. Place in 2 large greased bread pans and let rise. Bake 400 for 10 minutes, then 350 for 20-25 minutes until loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. If your kids are like mine, eat the 'heel' before the kids get to it. It is the best part of the bread!

4 comments:

Kate said...

I'm so excited! I'm going to surprise Mike and make the pizza pockets tonight. He keeps asking me to get a good pizza recipe, but I think he will like this even better.
Thanks!

Ally said...

Ooooooh, all those recipes look divine! (I'm glad you like the broccoli soup - it's one of our very favorites!)

Thanks for stopping by to comment on my blog. I sure feel for you - being 7 weeks away from Baby and so close to moving into your house. I'm sure you're handling it MUCH better than I would! That's a lot going on! I hope it all goes well for you - especially the baby part! ;)

I would LOVE to come help you organize. Not sure my Hubby would appreciate that... but I sure hope you'll eventually get things ironed and straightened out to how you like them. I know that's important to home life!

Your blog is great. :) Hope you won't mind if I stop in again...

Cami Sue said...

YEAH! Recipes. I love recipes. I am trying to learn how to cook but did you know that "learning how to cook" is a long process - not just something you learn in a couple week class?

I'm going to print these off and use them. I love pizza pockets for lunch but the ones we get in the store actually only come in Pepperoni and Canadian bacon and cheese. I think I would like to bring my own pizza pockets with whatever topping I decide. Do they freeze well?

Thanks for the recipes. I don't know if I will have time to make any of them but I can cook if I have a recipe.

Laurie said...

Yeah!!! Thanks Kimber! I can't wait to make all of them. And thanks for the pictures. That just tempts me even more. That liitle countdown to your baby is great! Not much time left....Do you know what you're having. I can't remember if you've said or not.