My train of thought so quickly jumps tracks that it can be a little confusing. I've had alot going on during the last couple of weeks that so little has been posted and there is so much more that I want included in my "journal". So this post (before evening starting I know this!) is going to be long, not in chronological order, going to whichever track my thought train takes me and is mostly for me. Rather than doing a whole bunch of little posts to catch up I'll just do a ridiculously long one. If you get bored or don't even start it - I'm totally not offended. This is 'just for the record'.
Temple Open House
This comes to mind first because I noticed our tickets for the dedication on my desk, I need to pick up shirts for the kids for the Cultural Celebration that they are performing in and it keeps pricking my mind that I should write about it. It wasn't a grand experience on the spiritual spectrum but it was a good family experience. I was intrigued at what impressed each child, some of which surprised me.
First I must say that there was a terrible ice storm the day we went and as we were walking through the tented area from the stake center to the temple we were being pelted with ice rain and wind. Even getting there was a little bit of a struggle because it was so cold. However, as we entered the temple all that was left behind and we were able to enjoy the tour.
Nathan was a little fussy - it being 5:30 and dinner time - but he instantly quieted down as we entered the Celestial room and just looked around kind of wide-eyed. Derek was very impressed with the baptismal font, some of that enthusiasm coming with the fact that our ward is already scheduled to do baptisms at the temple shortly after his 12th birthday in June. Erika kept noticing the wheat theme throughout the temple. This was also explained a little in the video that was shown just prior to the tour, but she noticed it everywhere and how beautiful, yet subtle it was. It was in the windows, stair rails, woven throughout the carpet and wallcovering, drapes, paintings. She was impressed with that. Justin was in awe at the ordinance room that was completely painted with a nature scene. He even walked up to the wall to touch it and make sure it wasn't wallpaper. He was even more impressed when LeRoy told him that we know the artist and he lives close by. Levi was initially bugged by the 'hideous' upholstery and carpet throughout the chapel and hallways. I must admit I was a little confused at the wild colors and patterns also but he turned it around as we entered the ordinance rooms and Celestial room. His thought was that maybe it was done to show a complete contrast and have the special rooms feel like a relief from the wild patterns and colors in the other areas. I was surprised that he even noticed something like that.
For me . . . I noticed the stairs. I was having contractions before we even got there so the stairs just caused even more. Personally, it was a nice experience to share with the kids but the feeling was totally different from when I go to the temple to do temple work. Probably because right now it is a beautiful building for anyone to tour and after it is dedicated it offers so much more. The dedication is on the 3rd of February and we have tickets for our family to be in the temple when it is dedicated. I am hoping that being in the temple then will be a more spiritual experience for each of the kids as well as LeRoy and I rather than all of us just noticing the building that we are in. LeRoy and I are also scheduled for one of the first sessions after the temple is dedicated and I'm sure that then I will feel more enthusiasm for the blessing of having a temple in Rexburg.
Natural vs. Modern
I know some family members think I'm a little odd in this way but hey - that's me. I'm talking medicine. In 2003 I gained a great appreciation for natural (homeopathic) medicine and doing all I could naturally for my health, and for the health of my family. It really helped me to manage and prevent the migraine headaches that I had been having, when the Doctors just kept prescribing stronger and stronger narcotics instead of helping me solve the problem. So naturally (hehe) I would continue to follow this method. However, there comes a time when natural medicine doesn't do the trick and I go to the modern medicine. There is a quote by President Brigham Young that helped me to feel comfort in modern medicine when I truly loved the natural methods. So when a headache is out of control and I have tried all I know with the natural - Excedrin & Dr. Pepper it is. That combination doesn't treat the problem, just the symptoms, but by the time I give in a take them I could care less about the problem just get me through the headache!! I realized yesterday that I am a little the same way with my kids.
Nathan has been struggling with a cough for about 1 1/2 weeks. This following Derek and Justin just having the same problems. With the help of my midwife, herbs, and rubs we have had it pretty much under control. Everyone still happy, even with a little snot going on. Then it gets to the point that I accept the fact that this particular case will not be solved with herbs quickly enough so we head to Community Care. I did this with Nathan yesterday. It finally got to a point where he had had a fever for a full night then day and was pulling at his ear. After all of our experiences with Derek and ears I have learned not to put that one off. He does have an ear infection and is sounding rather raspy in his breathing. So I combine the 2 medicines and Nathan had a shot to give him a boost to get rid of the raspy sound and a jump on the ear infection, then at home instead of the antibiotic - he gets double dose of the VSC from the midwife. Last year we learned that Nathan is much like Derek when it comes to antibiotics and they just give him extreme diarrhea and throwing up without really solving the problem. The VSC we have had success with, both for Derek and Nathan.
The rest of us have been doing awesome on the herbs when taken regularly as well as the ones when symptoms show up. Derek and LeRoy are the ones who usually have terrible winter health and they have both done amazingly well. Last winter was the first in 16 years that LeRoy didn't spend most of the months fighting the same cold that held on all winter and this year he is still holding that record - completely cold free. He doesn't really know what is going on with our food storage but he can tell me how many bottles of Elderberry are left on the shelf and when we are getting low!
All This House Stuff
I constantly get the question "Aren't you so excited about your house?". To be honest, not really. I'm more in denial than excited. It doesn't feel real. I'm trying to get through this pregnancy first. Nothing has really changed with housing yet so what am I supposed to feel? Yeah, there are moments when I am excited and can't wait - the mudroom can't come soon enough! But I am not there every day checking on the progress. Usually once a week I go out to see it so because it is not a constant visual reminder it is hard to believe it isn't just another house that LeRoy wired for someone else. Since we haven't moved I'm still in the same house, officially a renter, but really it doesn't feel different. And the pregnancy. Maybe this is just my minds way of handling things. When I really think of having a baby, dealing with all the changes that come with that, and moving all in a 2 week time period, and being ready for our home to be in the parade of homes, I get overwhelmed and near tears so maybe my subconscious mind knows it is better to not build up excitement right now. Let's just take it a day at a time. I hope this doesn't make me sound ungrateful for the house. I just have to deal with each change a little at a time. I'm sure when I am moving in and it is real - yes, I will be excited!
Attitude Schmattitude!
That's how I feel sometimes! I am working so hard at keeping a positive attitude about everything and really working through everything with prayer, hope and faith. But it is not easy!! There are moments when I want to give up, run away, quit, yell, cry . . . this list could go on forever. What pulls me out of it is when I briefly give in to the bad attitude and it quickly rubs off onto the whole family attitude. Whoever came up with the saying "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" sure had it right but That is so not fair! Once everyone's attitudes are off things just spiral downhill from there and then it is even harder for me to get back on track. I truly have to have my fall-apart moments during the middle of the night and by morning be ready to be happy. I must say that this really only comes by grace because I'm not strong enough to pull out of it on my own.
Bunco Babes
Most of you know about the bunco game night that I go to once a month. It is a life saver for me. No there is not gambling involved just good food, good conversation and great company. The night really has little to do with the game and more to do with the girls getting away for a while. Many of these women are some of my best friends and on several occasions someone from the group has shown up at my door with soup or salad, has called spontaneously, given me clothes, held a baby shower for me, invited me to lunch, or watched my kids for me. My bunco friends are more like the ideal visiting teachers than my actual visiting teachers are and our relationships are not stuck within the boundaries of a ward. We actually come from about 5 different wards though most of us started in this ward and have moved on. It's great to know that even after I move I will still have that save-my-sanity night away once a month.
Not Fair
This last week before Sacrament meeting one of Erika's YW leaders asked her if she remembered that she was doing part of the lesson. Erika had forgotten so asked the topic again and was asked to share her feelings and any personal experience that she had had on the topic. Later her teacher told me how impressed she was with Erika's testimony. She had each of the 4 girls share their testimonies and personal experiences and that she could see in Erika that she really believes what she is bearing testimony of. I had mixed feelings about this because I'm so glad that she could share her testimony with such confidence but also sad because I don't get to hear it. We have tried to teach the kids that when they do a lesson for FHE that it is good to share their testimony of the topic so that the Holy Ghost can bear witness to others that what they are teaching is true. So far we only get a shy, almost embarrassed testimony. I'm a little jealous of the YW leaders and youth that got to hear Erika's testimony and of the people who will hear my children bear testimony when on their missions. All this work in teaching and I want to be part of the reward. I know, it will come. I'm just a little impatient.
On a sillier note, I had a parent teacher conference for Justin this week. The teacher told me that he has never had to tell Justin to settle down and stop talking. I asked if we were talking about the right kid! Why is it that the teacher gets the best behavior and I am constantly trying to get that kid to learn when the appropriate time is to talk and when not to. Each PT conference I hear the same about Erika. Not fair. Of course, I am grateful that they have at least learned enough manners to apply them in public. Maybe I should visit my kids classes just to see all that hard work paying off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ok, so I really need to start a Bunco group here. I haven't played near enough games out here and this sounds just like the thing I need. We do a girls night out but so far haven't really had an activity to go along with it and every time I just wish we were playing games. I've never actually played Bunco so why do people think it is a gambling game?
Kimberly-
I love your blogs. They help me so much. I am glad everything is going well with the house and family. I sure wish I would have been there for the Temple dedication- it was announced while Daniel and I were living there. Also coughing- vicks vapor rub on the feet works wonders. Alex had RSV while living in Rexburg and has been affected ever since, but a small amount rubbed on his feet and it seems to do the trick. Sometimes we do it for a couple of nights. Thanks again.
We ditched the temple dedication because of the weather. I'm sure the dedication will be awesome though.
We moved into our new house 4 weeks after my #6 was born. I knew I was having him c-section so I planned a month to recover. When we moved, I did nothing. I just sat a cried! I couldn't pack up, I couldn't move anything, and I had no idea how to unpack. It was the wierdest thing ever! 10 months later and I still have no idea what happened to half of my stuff and I still don't really care. I'm sure you'll do fine, but I'll be praying for you because that really is alot for you to deal with all at once!
I'm so glad that you have such good friends and something to help you relax every now and then. And, why is that mom's miss out on all the really good stuff. My son got to speak at General Priesthood meeting and I couldn't go! I just sat home and worried and felt left out! He did great but man, it's that one of the rewards of trying to raise a teenager? I need to see a little bit of the result of my efforts. They are good kids! You are very blessed!
I keep saying that I am going to start a Bunco group, but I'm scared for some reason. What happened to the days of being outgoing and fun? Now I am the shy person in RS. I really need to get out of my shell.
I hope that the "kids behave better for others" thing applies to when Mom is here. Korben is constantly whining these days and throwing fits. I'm hoping that he will be an angel for his grandma and I will get to hear what a wonderful son I have. I can't relate to the testimony thing, but when the nursery leader tells me my son is a champ, I feel jealous too. :)
It's great to finally catch up on all that's going on.
I didn't know the open house was going on. I was thinking of coming for it but I guess with the weather the way it's been I wouldn't have made it anyways.
I'm excited to see what the Twin Falls Temple looks like - almost there.
I like that you do a lot natural. Working at the pharmacy kind of made me cynical. There's a drug for everything and several drugs to counteract the side effects of the first drug. I would like to do things more natural but haven't found a brand of vitamins that I like and I think works. Ben also has headaches and I can't figure out what to do to help him. Could you give a little advise on the herbs/vitamins you use?
I agree with you on the attitude thing. Why is it up to me to make sure everyone else is in a good mood - and I only have Ben. He's been in a bad mood for a long time since he hates his job but it's amazing how my attitude can lift his or can make his worse.
I like the idea of Bunco to get to know some people here. Since my friend moved to Reno it seems I don't have anyone to talk to here.
Thanks for the post. It's cool to hear that you have those "too many things to write about separately" thing too.
Post a Comment