Today I took Justin to pick a birthday present for a friend. I had asked him earlier if he wanted me to pick up something but he responded "no I need to get a good boy gift". As I watched him pick a gift I realized my problem. I don't automatically go to weapons. You know, no matter how many rules I set about no guns or weapons for Christmas and Birthdays our house is full of them. Part of the problem is that since they were little, and with no coaxing on my part, they make guns out of everything. How is it that a little boy can point a finger and make a shooting sound? I don't get it. And why don't they grow out of it? Even LeRoy still gets in on the shooting wars that go on. This picture of Derek is with a gun that he found in the canal after they drained it this year. It drives me crazy that it looks so real and dangerous but I just get the rationalization "it's just a useless, broken bb gun". The other gun is one that Derek build out of scrap wood, a metal strap, electrical tape and an led flashlight taped to the end. It is just one of many in the arsenal collection these boys have built.The other 'boy' issue that I am confused over is that of flatulation, passing gas, whatever you want to call it (we just try not to use the other commonly used word for it). Nathan has figured out that the first time it happens he gets a "Whoa, good job" response from his brothers so he quickly goes into pushing mode trying to get the same sound to come again. There are days that I enter the boys rooms or bathroom and my eyes are near watering, and it's not from the exceptional cleaning job that they have done! It's all because of the 'contests' that go on in there, as well as the wet sock smell that seems to linger even after a good cleaning. I really don't see what is so manly, funny, cool or tough about being able to make the biggest noise and grossest stink possible. It must be a guy thing.
So with this I wondered why I have always been 'one of the boys' in a sense. Most of my best friends during my school year were boys. I've always considered myself a tomboy. But gas and guns is where I draw the line. I must now confess that I love watching my daughter dance and I look at her and she is gorgeous. I wish I was that beautiful. However, I draw the line on girly things with all that hairspray, makeup, love to shop, and drama that goes on with girls. I guess I'm just a neutral being. Right in the middle. Maybe that just makes for a good mommy. I can hang out with the boys and I can enjoy spending time with my daughter.
3 comments:
J mentioned when reading this that it is unfair to say that boys are gassy gross. He grew up with sisters and said they can be just as gross in that area. In fact, its almost worse because you aren't expecting it from the girls.
Ha ha! This sounds like my house! I have a daughter that absolutely hates boys to be gross and any way. She ends up in tears and it's so much drama and the boys love that so they do it more and then I'm upset and then they love it even more.... and well, it's just fun to be a mom no matter what!
I agree with the gun thing. I have never given Korben a gun, and he has never seen one on tv, but somehow when he was at his cousins house, he knew to pick up the gun and "shoot" it. I don't care what people say, I didn't "train" him to be a boy, he just is.
I also agree with James. Girl "fluffs" are lots worse than guys. Especially at a certain time of the month...and when they are pregnant. :)
Post a Comment