Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Blues, Greens and FHE

When I was expecting Nathan I knew that we were planning on another baby so I decorated the room to fit either a boy or girl. Now that I know I am having a boy I decided to go a little more boyish so I have redone the babies room.

It was originally the Malawi theme in greens and yellows with jungle animals and now I have switched everything out to cars. I found a twin quilt that I liked at Pottery Barn so I waited until I found one on e-bay that I felt was price-worthy. However, I didn't want to pay Pottery Barn or e-bay price for curtains or crib stuff so I decided to find a complimentary fabric and make it. I have had the quilt for about 3 months and the fabric for 2 and just needed the right motivation to sew everything up.

I guess the right motivation came Saturday afternoon and yesterday. I'm not sure what sparked it but I finished and love the look. The room will be a little less crowded when we move and will have only the crib and twin in the room but for now we are going to put the baby in the pack & play, and leave Nathan in the crib.

I made the curtains, pillow case on the twin, and the bedskirt. I'd like to do a small crib quilt also but my back hurts so bad from my terrible sewing posture (and having my big belly sitting on my lap while sewing) that it will have to wait.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy St. Patrick's Day! At least it was yesterday. I don't know why our family is kinda lacking in birthday celebrations but we always celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Nope, no Irish blood in us. Just a love for the color green.

This is our 7th year celebrating but it was by far our smallest party. Usually we all wake up with "Leprechaun Kisses" all over us (clover stickers) and a prize at the table. One year it fell on Sunday and the kids even wore a couple of 'kisses' to church. I was serving in the primary presidency at the time and had sharing time that day but while the kids were in their classes I snuck home to hurry and decorate the table and set out all the green food. This was when they were all younger and it just made them believe in leprechauns even more because they saw me at church and didn't think I would be so sneaky. Now they know better but we all still enjoy our family green holiday.

This year we just did dinner - all green. We had taquitos with green chili sauce, green cornbread, grapes and kiwi, and green jello (I found out that Levi has been missing jello and reminded me that I haven't made it since 2003 - which is true). We also had green crowns to go with it and balloons. Nathan's favorite part (since this was all new to him) was the grapes, kiwi and balloons. He wasn't too fond of the jello at all - that was Levi's chosen treasure. For dessert we had mint ice cream sandwiches.

Yes, Nathan is still in his Elmo shirt. It did get washed on Saturday, I promise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For family home evening last night we talked about the rewards of obedience. I used the article from the March New Era called "What I Learned as a Cowboy" which had a story with some great 'this is what I learned' thoughts in it. Then we read scriptures relating to obedience.

  • 1 Nephi 22:31 - Prophets teach obedience - we will be saved at the last day
  • Alma 57:21 - Stripling warriors were obedient because they remembered the teachings of their mothers (parents). They did "perform every word of command with exactness".
  • D & C 59:3 - Rewards of the earth
  • D & C 58:2 - Rewards in heaven
  • D & C 89: 1, 18-21 - health, wisdom, great treasures of knowledge, etc.
  • D & C 93:1 - See the face of Christ and know that He is.

We also discussed the fact that obedience doesn't guarantee an easy life or that nothing bad happens but that there is a reward in it somewhere, even if we don't see it for years, or even in this life but in the next.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So after thinking I had nothing to post yesterday it turned out to be a very full day. I love the days of feeling a little normal, doing something productive (ok, so growing a baby is productive but it sure can leave other things falling waaaaay behind) and having great family time together.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I feel bad I did NOTHING for St. Patricks Day. It is one of my sisters birthday so my mom always did a huge to do. Green Everything! MY sister even told me about their green food at every meal yesterday. My poor deprived kiddos. Well there is always next year.

They Boys room is darling. I wouldn't even know where to start with boys.

KJBBBG said...

Wow. What a fun day. Wish I was more like that. We did nothing. It's spring break so I am being extremely lazy and since Brendan didn't even do anything for school I didn't get excited about it. I'm so boring.

The room looks so cute. You're so amazing with that sewing machine and with FHE. I want to be like you when I grow up. And I really need to start doing that someday soon probably.

Cami Sue said...

So creative with the boy's room. It looks great. I was sick yesterday so last night said to Ben "wasn't it St. Patrick's day today?" Even he didn't remember. Your party sounds fun though. It's cool that you celebrate it.

I think I need to start commenting before Kellie. She says exactly what I want to - I want to be like you when I grow up.

Kate said...

The room looks so cute! I'm very impressed that you made your own curtains and bedskirt. I was looking at Logan's room today and thinking that I wouldn't want to buy all new stuff if we ever had a girl because it would be so expensive. However, I really would like to make a girly room someday, so keep your patterns and maybe I'll use 'em sometime.

My goal is to someday have regular home evenings. I really struggle with that.

We didn't do anything for St. Patty's day either, although I wondered if you were having your normal party. Maybe next year Korben will actually eat foods that I make, so it will be worth it to make everything green. :)

Kara said...

I love the baby's room! Good job getting it done...that is a huge accomplishment. And probably a weight off your shoulders. (I'm sure you would prefer the weight come off your belly :)

I hope you keep a copy of all the FHEs that you do. I want to just copy everything. You are so good to use current articles and current family issues.

Laurie said...

I love all your green! I colored our breakfast eggs green and no one ate them. I colored our pizza dough green for dinner and my husband said it was disgusting (Not the pizza, just the color of the dough!) I told him that I was getting tons of ideas for next year from everyone's blogs and he told me that he hated green colored food. Can you say PARTY POOPER! Cute bedroom! I'm sure you're relieved to have it done. And great job on the FHE lesson. We are at a funny stage where my oldest thinks FHE is too much like Primary and my youngest don't get it cuz it's too over their heads. So we just eat lots of treats!