Sunday, August 31, 2008

Jackson Trip

It was fun to get away. LeRoy did in fact leave his cell phone home which made this the first time in 5 years. Levi drove us there which I was a little hesitant about because of the pass, and yet I found myself more calm going over Jackson pass with Levi driving than I have ever felt with LeRoy driving. I won't say anything more about that because I could get in trouble :) Isn't there an ammendment or something that a wife can't testify against her husband?

Before we left LeRoy made breakfast for us, oh it was yummy! Blueberry pancakes, bacon, grape juice, eggs. I have missed his tradition of doing Saturday breakfasts. He used to do it every week until things started getting so busy that he has been working on Saturdays. I couldn't believe it that he wasn't going to even start the day with his cell phone. It is a rare moment that we sit down together for a meal without the ringing of the cell phone.

In Jackson we started at the square going to Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum which was awesome. We went about 4 years ago and it was cool then but having the kids just a little older was so fun. We spent about 2 hours there being grossed out, wow-ed, impressed, amazed and entertained. Nathan was so intrigued by this machine that would do a sketch of you, mostly because it was talking and drawing so he thought it was a real . . person? Really it just takes a digital photo of you and prints it like a sketch. Anyway, Nathan kept wandering off and we always found him at the machine. So I stuck in $2, watched him give his cutest smile for the camera and the total expression of joy on his face as his picture popped out of that machinewas so worth the $2. And Yes, that is what his shirt really said - It's one of my favorites :)

By the time we finished there it was about 3:00 so we went next door to Merry Piglets. Each time we have been to Jackson that is our family eatin' place. I think in the last couple of years I have realized that the food really isn't that spectacular, it's quite ordinary, but it's the experience along with it that holds the memories.

After eating we needed to walk off some of that food before going swimming so we wandered the square. I began to wonder why I had gone into the restroom at Merry Piglets and stood to nurse Hyrum. Mostly because I am not a public nurser but also because it didn't feel right to do in the restaraunt. After wandering the square for a bit I realized that me nursing would have exposed nothing compared to all the bare skin we saw - not to mention the flaunting of 'nursing parts' that seemed to be right at Derek's eye level, poor kid.

Then came the swimming. This rec center has been a great place for us but this time it was a little disappointing. They used to have a climbing wall that you could climb up and then fall back into the water . . it wasn't available. No diving, no playing in the large pool unless you were going to just do swimming laps (which left us in the 3' water only - not so fun for tall kids), no water volleyball just rolling the ball on top of the water, no blowing bubbles. Good grief, these 4 life guards were so annoying! After almost 2 hours of being there they came over to us and told Nathan that he had to spit his gum out. After 2 hours!! I realize they were doing their job but isn't it more about people playing in the water safely rather than bossing people around? They were constantly blowing the whistle at all of us in the pool (not just our family). Erika, Derek and Justin seemed to have fun, Nathan was thrilled, Hyrum was only in for about 15 minutes and Levi and LeRoy were just annoyed. I think next year we may just go to Idaho Falls, Pocatello or Lava.

Now on to the positives again . . .

While we wandered around the square Erika, Derek and Justin all found hoodies for only $9. According to Jackson prices this was a steal!

I was happy to find the "Horsey Songs" - yep you heard me family! This CD is one that a lady gave to Dad at work, mom passed it on to Kellie and her kids (which they listened to while crossing the country), our family has made 2 copies of it, John stole it from mom, mom got a copy from us and I gave a copy to Kara. I'm not sure if Kate and Josh have it but it wouldn't surprise me. Because none of us have ever seen the actual original CD, Kara and I tried to find it online and couldn't. Well, there it was in Jackson. Or rather I should clarify, the guy who did "Horse Tunes" had a bunch of other CD's available to buy. I listened to several of the demo songs and could tell it was the right guy. He has actually done 9 different CD's. So if any of you want an original of the CD that we have all named Horsey Songs here you go. Scroll down and it will show you all of the other CD's available.

http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Tunes-Kids-Brent-Holmes/dp/B000LR6EYS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1220242621&sr=1-2

And finally, a positive thought about our kids. While LeRoy and the boys were all changing in the locker room another father who had been in the pool with his family approached LeRoy and told him the he had been watching our kids play in the pool and was very impressed by them. They really are great kids!

5 comments:

Kara said...

I can't believe you found horsey songs!...On a random trip. And he has other CD's. I checked them out and although you can't listen to them, the reviews make it sound like they are just as fun.

Sounds like it was fun trip but that maybe your family has outgrown Jackson.

Anonymous said...

Gas for driving there--way too much. Eating out--way too much. Swimming tickets---way too much. Memories of the day-PRICELESS. Makes it all worth it for a compliment like that.

Jessica said...

Like mom said its the memories. But I do reccommend Lava. I havnt heard anything about this song I will have to try it out.

Goodrich said...

I loved Jackson when I went. It is an awesome place to go- I didn't know they had a Ripley's Believe it or not. I will have to check that out sometime.

Kate said...

What a fun trip. I have found that family trips don't usually end up as good as you imagine them to be, but I also think that is what makes fun memories.

$9 on a hoodie is a good price t Wal-Mart, so I think you got a great deal. :)

As far as the horse tunes, I have a random burned cd that I found the other day labeled horse tunes. I have no idea where it came from, but I put it in to see what it was and Korben and I had a good laugh. I thought maybe it came from Jess and I didn't remember it, but her comment suggests otherwise...maybe Kells accidentaly left it here??? I don't know, but it's cute.